| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Polyurethane engine mounting bushes  (Read 5062 times)
klumzer

« on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:23 pm »

During my restoration project, I took an attempt to replace my tired engine mounting bushes. The new bushes were made of polyurethane by machining. The hardness of the original rubber is about 70-75 Shore A. It is too soft for machining so the hardness of the new elastomer is about 90 Shore A. It would have been possible to made them from 85 Shore A but I think the result would have been almost the same. Another difficult thing is to create the holes on the right side bush (you can see on the photos how it was solved).

Softer bushes could only be manufactured by casting liquid polyurethane to special moulds and tempering them. Moulds would be very expensive mainly because of the complicated right side bush (holes) and the left side one also has complicated sidewalls. And this procedure needs professionality to get the correct adhesion between the polyurethane and the metal bushes.

There is not much to say about the experience. These polyurethane bushes are too hard for normal use. There was too high vibration on the chassis, it was quite inconvenient so I had to go back to the normal way.

Maybe my new bushes would be suitable for racing purpose. The guy, who made them, often gets orders from amateur rally teams to make tougher engine bushes.
   As I will never have enough money for another Murena only for racing, I do not need them.

If anyone wants to try or use them on a racing car I can send by post.

Photos were taken before the installation and testing, that is why they are not dirty...
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:45:23 am »

It was my experience to.
The new batch some years ago was harder and didn't like them.
A annoying rumble was in the car and a day of driving was no fun anymore.
I found one from a unknown car that was same hardness but hunting on what car it came from no results.
There is a new batch now but I will inform how these are.

regards Herman

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
GP

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:05:40 pm »

Hi Klumzer,

That is a very kind offer that I will take up if no one else wants them?

I do have a problem with my mounts so this would be most suitable for my needs.

Regards,

Graham

klumzer

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »

Ok GP, you have won the auction...  Wink

But do not forget, it was an "experimental" project so I do not know what they can cause during a longer period of usage (I mean the higher vibration). It is your responsibility to use them. I think the chassis of the Murena is tough enough, but who knows...

I think you should try to mount it only at one side, start the engine to see and feel the difference and then decide it if it is worth the extra job at the other side.

And if you think these bushes are useable for racing, I will be very happy.

If you are still interested, send me a PM with your postal address and I will send you the bushes. I do not know when, because I will be busy next week...

klumzer

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:44:04 pm »

Oh, I am sorry.
I realised that you sent me a PM.   Cheesy

To tell the full story, these bushes were part of a full kit. I still use the upper bushes in my car...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:07:19 pm by klumzer » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: