| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ESPACE III ON BOARD COMPUTER / REAR BRAKES  (Read 13959 times)
Sparky

« on: October 03, 2006, 12:20:53 am »

Having looked at the french Espace site Proust & Co there has been a lot of discussions about upgrading the digital dash to the full computer display giving the MPG. and average speed etc. Does anyone here on this forum have any experience of having this done in the UK? It seems that if your Espace has the three white dots on the end of the Wiper stalk and an E2 or E3 prefix on the car data plate it should be possible for a Main dealer to do a software upgrade with the diagnostic software computer.
The previous owner thought that the car had it as standard but I have been unable to do anything except reset the mileage trip.  Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Regards Sparky
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 12:43:06 pm by Sparky » Logged

Drives:
Renault Grand Espace III 2.2Dci The Race
Renault SL29 Trafic 1.9Dci, Citroen XM 2.1TD Break
BMW's K1200LT, R1100GS & R65
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 05:58:09 am »

Welcome to the forum, Sparky

As far as I know it is just a question about enabling it in the software. Whether you can convince your garage to do it or not is another question as they are not supposed to.

The usefullness of the feature is limited by the lack of precision in the fuel consumption measurement - it is quite unable to measure economy with any kind of exactness.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TheJoker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:21:14 am »

Having just read through the manual on my 2.2dCi, I was a bit annoyoed to find that the diesel doesn't do any MPG or any other of the fancy pants computer malarkies...

... only the petrol heads get that. Meaning that you might already have the best software for your car.

Double check your manual - I can give you a page reference from mine later today.

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 12:25:15 pm »

... only the petrol heads get that. Meaning that you might already have the best software for your car.

well, my 2002 dci does have the full computer setup.

It didn't when I bought it, but a friendly Renault mechanic said, "oh, we'll enable that" and that was it.

I agree with Anders that the accuracy is poor, but it is certainly not useless.

The real-time measurement is a VERY good tool to hit you over the head, everytime you forget you had an intention of doing good mpg on this tankfull ...

The accuracy is appauling, but constant, - the dash-computer in my car gets it about 17% wrong - surprisingly to the pessimistic side. One could have expected that they did it to impress new customers. so a reading of 9.5 l/100km is in fact 8, when I do the math after filling up. (our car only does very short trips)

I'm convinced the reason so many modern fuel-economic cars have such an appauling accuracy of their speedos, - is that it will make people drive around at 53mpg when they think they do 60, and then the consumptiuon figures match the brochures...

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
TheJoker

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 12:28:44 pm »

Oh... I read the manual as there's no trip computer for my diesel - good news, maybe I could get it enabled at some point too... Smiley

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 12:44:35 pm »

As sparky said,  if your car has three white dots on the end of the Wiper stalk and an E2 or E3 prefix on the car data plate, then it might be possible.
I'll keep my fingers crossed, its GREAT to have a hidden resource surface like that :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Sparky

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 09:45:29 pm »

Thanks for the support. The Race is due for a service soon (it's second), and I'm in the process of changing the rear discs and pads, I've already done the front end and the Pollen filters. So hopefully it'll only be fluids to change and a little tweak with the laptop and a stamp in the book.
If its fitted it should work!

Regards Sparks

Drives:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 06:15:05 am »

Thanks for the support. The Race is due for a service soon (it's second), and I'm in the process of changing the rear discs and pads

One word of caution from someone who had to give up on just that... the piston in the rear calipers are impossible to push back unless you have the right tool. Even if you make something from a vice of some sort. I have had it confirmed from different sources that it is practically impossible, so I gave up Sad

But you could be more lucky than me...

- Anders

Used to own:
Sparky

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:41:43 pm »

1st release the hand brake
2nd  remove the pads
There is automatic correction of the wear of the pads which requires you to turn the piston whilst you press it back into its housing

DO NOT TO OPEN THE BLEED SCREWS

3rd Try putting a little lubricant between the bellows and the piston  to avoid tearing the bellows.

4th  At the same time necessary to turn the piston whilst pushing it back in. A peg spanner used to tighten the discs of a 9" (230mm) angle grinder are rather effective for this. Although a purpose made tool is available.

PS: This is valid for all the later disc braked  models (with handbrake cable).

Information from french web site, apologies for the translation.

Good luck.

Drives:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 02:48:58 pm »

Looks good Sparky, but have you tried it?
Though I didn't try it with the angle grinder tool, I tried with a varation of other tools - it was simply not possible to turn/push the piston back. I've had it confirmed from a renault mechanic that it is not possible (or very difficult).
Which site is this?

Used to own:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: