| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 5194 times)
dirtyharry7717

Sucata Rally Boys

« on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »

Just dropping in to introduce myself......I am running a 1995 Espace rt 2.2 petrol with a manual gearbox..Yes its had its problems that's why i bought it ...Now with all the demons fixed, i used it in a Charity banger rally, ( non contact ) my team The Sucata Rally boys won the first place to the finish line with a bit of under handed game play.....But we had no option ..

Any-who  the Espace ( badbull ) is now in need of a clutch , we had an oil leak which caused the clutch to slip, but we charged on at no more than 60mph for the next 3000 miles keeping an eye on the oil to get
us back home to Scotland .. we made that as well. So BadBull is staying in the family now. and returning to the rally this year.

I suppose my question is this...Do you have to remove Engine and Gearbox to replace clutch or can it be done on the driveway.. i am ambitious 

were also on Facebook please feel free to follow us . the more information we receive the better it is for the BadBull

Many thanks to Lennart for his help so far.

Charity starts at home but should not end there
mhi

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:44:37 pm »

If this is the same range as my 1994 RXE 2.0, so far as I know, replacing the clutch involves any one of

(a) Remove engine (only), leaving the rest of the transmission in place.

(b) Remove transmission (only), from underneath, leaving the engine in place.

(c) Remove engine and transmission together.

Information from the Haynes manual (terrible book, but it is sometimes right). I've never done this myself; I did pay a garage to change the clutch in 2002, and was charged for 6 hours labour. I think they did (b).

My experience with clutch cables is that genuine Renault ones last no more than a year, no matter whether fitted by the professionals or in the drive by me; and that you need to be careful with the route the cable takes, in a big smooth high loop around the wiper motor. If replacing the clutch cable, get a QH -- my current cable has lasted a record 2.5 years.

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
dirtyharry7717

Sucata Rally Boys

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »

Cheers mhi

i hope its an easy job .. they say you have to remove engine to head gasket but got around that by removing the heater box..so fingers crossed. not doing the job till april , as the engine we think has came out of a 25 still running a 2.2 petrol tho. and we swapped the auto box for the manual..

Charity starts at home but should not end there
ross

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:50:52 pm »

Hi, I have recently renewed the clutch in my 1994 2.1 turbo diesel by removing the gearbox in the traditional way. I had to disconnect the down pipe from the exhaust manifold to the spring joint under the drivers door, and as I recall was the only part of the job that seemed a pain was a small damper fitted at the top of the bell housing to the cross member.
Not too sure how similar the job will be when comparing a 2.2 petrol with a 2.1 diesel, but if the gearbox is the same and it is only the bell housing that changes it should be a straightforward task. Make sure you get hold of a clutch alignment tool when fitting the new clutch assembly, it makes the gearbox slide on so much better. I did mine single handed, but 2 people will do it so much easier as it was tricky getting the first bolt in after refitting the gearbox. It has been well worth it as my new clutch is so much lighter on the pedal now.
best of luck......regards, Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: