| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: J63 -93 2.2L headlamps do not work  (Read 5119 times)
Jurzi

I'm a llama!

« on: June 04, 2013, 12:01:20 am »

I did a big operation with my Espace (see my message in Electrical fault post). Finally I now realised that neither of my headlamps are no functioning. Parking lights are ok. When I switch on the headlamps the green lamp sign on the instrument panel is not lightened, as it should or? I have checked the fuse nr8 25A and it is OK. I have measure the voltage to this fuse and there were some millivolts at both on/off positions as I switched on/off the headlamps. How to proceed testing?
EDIT:
I think I will follow Espace Freunde instructions in bypassing - more and better lights
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:43:53 am by Jurzi » Logged
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:54:40 am »

I would suspect the relay is faulty
Jurzi

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:00:06 pm »

I would suspect the relay is faulty
Where is this relay located, do you know?
mhi

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:56:46 am »

There is a wiring diagram for the J63 in the vault: www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace and look for Renault_Espace_J63_elektro_schema. It's not entirely clear, and not always accurate (for my 1994 car) but it's much better than nothing. The mysterious numbers in the diagram match up with the ones in my Haynes manual

According to page 168, the relay (237 "twin headlight relay") powers just the main beam lamps on one side. Both dipped headlights and the other side's high beam are powered directly through the steering column switch (209 "Horn and lighting switch"). If the two instrument panel indicator lamps are not working as well as the headlamps, either the fuse, the control switch, or the wiring from fuse to column to indicators have failed.

If the fault were further down the circuit, the instrument panel lamp would turn on, even though the headlamps didn't. Each headlamp unit has its own earth, so if both aren't working it is unlikely to be an earth fault.

My car's steering-column light switch failed a few years ago -- main beam headlamps would flash but not stay on. Replacing this switch wasn't difficult. I think I removed the steering wheel and the plastic covers around the steering column to get at it. I haven't had your headlamp fault, though (yet).

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
Jurzi

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:27:25 am »

I just wanted to post that I didn't bother to find the real problem. Instead I re-wired directly from the headlamp switch to the lamps and used  Biltema's (cheap Nordic department store) ready-made headlamp installation, attached directly to battery. Lights work now perfectly and they are bright.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:45:49 pm by Jurzi » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: