| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Roll pins on driveshaft transmission end  (Read 4484 times)
Mike S

« on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:23 pm »

Need to replace driveshaft on an Espace MK2, but the roll pin is totally stuck and will not budge. Have broken two pin punches and have tried using an air hammer still no joy. Has anyone been in this situation and how was it resolved? if at all...
GrahamT

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:43 pm »

Wot no reply?! If you haven't sorted it yet, I'd guess you're using a punch slightly too small or tapered? There are (should be) 2 pins, one inside the other. Get the biggest flat punch you can find and give it a good hard whack! Otherwise try a G clamp?? make sure the pin can come out theough lol! (drill a hole in the clamp?)
Last resort would be to drill it out I guess.
Good luck!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00:33 pm »

Wot no reply?! If you haven't sorted it yet, I'd guess you're using a punch slightly too small or tapered? There are (should be) 2 pins, one inside the other.

That is only correct if they are original Graham.  They stopped fitting 2 pins and replaced them with one roll pin later.  You cannot get the 2 different size pins today, only the single one - I still have some here as I bought a packet not that long ago for two that I worked on.

If you can't get a simply roll pin out even with an air hammer, Mike, I would suggest there is something drastically wrong - such as there is no roll pin and you are knocking against something solid.  Split roll pins can never be that tight by the virtue of the split along its length.

Are you sure the drive shaft is actually fixed to the gearbox shaft by a pin?  Since it could never come off on it's own (there is insufficient space) I'm wondering if the last person who had it apart, put the shaft back on the wrong splines so the holes didn't line up and therefore no pin could be used, and rather than strip it all again when he realised his mistake, decided just to leave it without any pin.

When I put the ones I was working on back together, I found that the holes only line up in one place - they won't line up even at 180 degrees around, as the hole is slightly off centre.

Roy

GrahamT

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:57:59 am »

"If you can't get a simply roll pin out even with an air hammer, Mike, I would suggest there is something drastically wrong - such as there is no roll pin and you are knocking against something solid.  Split roll pins can never be that tight by the virtue of the split along its length."

Good point, well made! Most likely scenario.  Cool 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: