| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace J63 -93 2.2L does not start  (Read 5822 times)
Jurzi

I'm a llama!

« on: July 18, 2013, 02:44:25 am »

I was towing carriage at slow speed and suddanly Espace stalled and never did start after that. It cranks well but does not start the engine.

I have tried to inspect the spark but alone it is difficult, I will do it later. Coil seems to be however in the specs (resistances were in the right ranges according to Haynes manual). After cranking I checked that the spark plugs were dry and there was no smell of petrol.

Thus, I suspect that fuel supply is the problem. I tried to listen if the relay/fuel pump to make any sound when I turned the ignition key, but I couldn't here any sound. How to proceed? I know somehow that there are relays of fuel pump and injection cut off somewhere and they are in the same location? Are they the  relays in the black plastic box consisting of three relays located on drivers side above air filter? Which one should I check? Could it be fuse? How to check if fuel pump is OK?
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:07:30 pm »

Looks like you have the basic knowledge, well done! most people don't have a clue. I'm afraid you will have to digest the haynes manual until someone here knows the older vehicle. My knowledge is with the 97-02 models. But you are on the right tack. Find the fuel pump cut off switch to prove it is operating. Try power the pump direct from a spare battery. If ok work from there. Have you checked 'the vault' http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/J63/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:41:44 pm by BrianM » Logged
Jurzi

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:43:34 pm »

PROBLEM SOLVED Grin

We found that fuse nr3 did not give any voltage, which was supposed to control fuel supply and injection. At the same time I noticed by accidence that nr6 fuse was blown, which controls e.g. warning lights etc. It was rated as 20A and the blown fuse was 15A. I changed the fuse and heureka - warning lights came when igniting and Espace started in the first try Cheesy I wonder why this fuse was needed for starting the engine but I don't complain - it must be anti-theft system or actually give the power to the fuel pump???

I was a little careless because I noticed all the time that the warning lights were not illuminating as I turned the key, because I did not think it could possibly cause the problem. Long live and learn.
BrianM

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:44:51 pm »

If this fuse supplies the indicator & brake lights then maybe the extra power needed for the trailer lights caused this? Well done for sorting it.
Jurzi

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:22:39 am »

If this fuse supplies the indicator & brake lights then maybe the extra power needed for the trailer lights caused this? Well done for sorting it.

Very good point, must be so. Unluckily the previous owner had also put this wrong (15A  instead of 20A) fuse in.
mhi

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:05:37 am »

... At the same time I noticed by accidence that nr6 fuse was blown, which controls e.g. warning lights etc. It was rated as 20A and the blown fuse was 15A. I changed the fuse and eureka - warning lights came when igniting and Espace started in the first try Cheesy...
The cigar lighter + accessory power socket is also on fuse 6. (Learned this yesterday when I plugged in a badly designed USB phone charger adaptor which short-circuited the socket.) Why Renault put the cigar lighter socket on the same circuit as the brake lights and instrument panel is a mystery! Perhaps it saved a few centimes on the cost of building the car.

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: