| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Front Brakes intermittently getting hot / smelly / sticking  (Read 96544 times)
jag

« on: August 23, 2013, 11:11:18 am »

Hi to all - It's been a while since I've last been on here. Only cos my Espace has been working perfect.
But now I have a annoying problem with the brakes. The other week I was on my way to London when just a few miles away from my destination i could smell a nasty whiff ( wasn't last night's curry ) upon stopping i found the Passenger side front wheel really hot and the smell seemed to be coming from the disc / pads area. I managed to get to my relatives and the smell almost dispered. The next morning i took the brake pads out and released the piston several times to see if it was still stuck. It seemed fine and the pads had plenty of life in them. Put evrything back together as it was a sunday and there wasn't much else i could do.
Managed to drive back to Birmingham the next day at about 65 mph. (thought i may need to call the AA out but no need) No smell or pads sticking , no problems.
Upon returning home, i replaced the  front passenger side caliper with one i had  from a donor car ( newish one). Took the car out , now the smell is coming from the front drivers side with the same symptomns, wheel getting hot, really smelly burning smell. The passenger side seems to be fine.  Could it be the Master cylinder or the ABS Pump. Alll my sensors and sensor wiring back to the pump is fine. Although my ABS light has been on for a while.  A friend who is an AA Patrol man seems to think it can only be the Brake Master Cylinder and not the ABS Pump. I don't really want to replace both items if i don't need to . Any ideas or any one had this happen before on an  Espace  mk3 ?  Any help would be  most helpful !!!

1999  Grand Espace 2.2 dTi RTX
2003  Peugeot 206 1.4 Hdi LX
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:42:01 pm »

assume you have sorted this, normally it is because the slide pns have rusted. This is the bolts that the caliper is mounted to.
jag

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:40:12 pm »

Hi again all - Since my last post. I have replaced my Master Cylinder, replaced worn rear brake shoes and replaced brake fluid too. The car seemd fine after driving abt 7/8 miles, this mornin  i seemd to notice that the rear brakes were smelling slightly and the rear wheels were alot warmer than front wheels. Could this now be a problem caused by an intermittent sticking hand brake problem, the reason why i say that is prior to me replacing anything before I had problems. I had replaced the n/s rear brake cylinder as it was leaking but noticed that my shoes were a bit low and decided to leave them till  i got back frm my London Trip. Now the problems I had during my trip was that my n/s front wheel was very hot and smelt of brakes sticking. Upon checking it at London all was fine on way bak, so I replaced the caliper thinking it was an intermittent flty caliper as I had one anyway. Then a few days later my front o/s wheel was very hot and smelt of brake sticking. So i was informed it was probably a flty Master Cylinder. I replaced that didn't pay too much as I knew a man who had a new one cheap. Replaced that last week and the brake shoes and re-checked my slide pins on the front calipers and re-greased them with Silicon grease. They seemed fine. Now i have this intermittent problems on my back brakes. Could it just have been as my shoes were low on linings when i first experienced the problems in London that it didn't show up thay my rear brakes were locking on too but i only noticed the smell and heat from the front n/s wheel. Now that i have replaced my shoes you can notice the heat from them. So could it be that the hand brake is intermittently sticking causing rear brake shoes to stick. I havn't yet chekced the condition of the handbrake cable yet.  Any ideas please i am getting rather frustrated at the moment. Wht else can it be ? Could it be ABS PUMP related problem, MY abs LIGHT IS ON  but my car has driven fine. I have said previoulsy that  all my abs sensors and wiring is fine just havn't had time to  get hold of a good second hand ABS pump  to try out. But i personallly don't think it has anything to do with the ABS side of things. Help most urgently wanted !!!

BrianM

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:42:12 pm »

did you slacken the hand brake cable before fitting the new shoes if not then it would give you a long brake pedal & they would not adjust correctly. Need to have someone lift & release the hand brake so you can look & see if the cable is returning. The abs will not apply pressure unless you put you foot on the brake. You also need to jack the wheels up & turn the wheels, have someone apply the hb on, off then foot barake on off to see if it releases ok.
jag

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:35:39 pm »

Hi Brian, thanks for your input. I will try that. Is the hand brake adjustment on the undeneath of the car. I couldn't see anything on the inside by the lever. Cheers will let you know how i get on.

jag

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:52 pm »

BTW Brian , i didn't slacken the Handbrake Cable just had it released when i did the shoes.

BrianM

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:20 pm »

there is a horse shoe attached to the end of the hand brake handle under the car. I think it has a 13mm locknut on it. just back it right off & make sure you release the adjusters in the drum by putting a screwdriver in to the fulcrum & leavering back. You may see the leaver then go back against a rubber stop (where the cable attaches)
jag

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 02:50:01 pm »

Good News - My brakes seem to be fine now. I jacked the car up on Friday Afternoon as I had to drop my daughter off at Sheffield Uni on Saturday. I had a look at the Horseshoe for the Handbrake Cable as Brian suggested - The adjuster nut and the drum cables connected to the H-Shoe were all caked in tar and thick mud,etc. Cleaned it up and freed up the nut ( strange how my h-brake had worked with all the gunk stuck to it). Had a close examination at the left and right hand brake cable runs. I found on each run where the plastic had worn off due to chaffing on the securing clamps welded to the underside. Cleaned up the rusty part of the hand brake outer cable exposed and re-covered it with some split hose and weather proof tape. Re-adjusted the handbrake to make sure that all was free moving. Went to Sheffield on Sat, no problems what so ever. So relieved that my Espace Lives !!!  As the missus has been looking at some Volvo XC90's to replace it with.
I don't think i will ever sell this car even if we do get a Volvo. I've had it since 2001 and nothing in my opinion comes close to it, not even a XC90. BTW Brian thanks again for all your help. Happy Days !!

BrianM

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:59:55 am »

Glad to have been of some help, nice to know it's sorted. Same here, cant see a time when we retire the Espace. It's just too good a car.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: