| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: j63 2.2i - windscreen bad placement  (Read 8376 times)
pduke

« on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:09 pm »

hey! me again..
i had a crack in the windscreen so i went for a repalcement.
a week later (yesterday) i realized that when i try to open the hood it touches the main wiper.
since i don't remember how it was before i uploaded a picture pointing 3 details. can somebody confirm my points?
1 + 2 i think the wiper is set higher than normal and a bit to the  left (?)
3. the plastic cover is "wavy" along it's line. should be touching the windscreen, shouldn't it?

BrianM

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »

Looks like the clips have missed their holes. I would remove & refit it.
pduke

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:12:57 pm »

thanx! that is what i was thinking, i hope it is not a very difficult operation....
mhi

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:34 am »

If the replacement windscreen was fitted by professionals, call them back to re-fit the wiper arms correctly. You shouldn't need to tell them how to do that!

Just measured the gap between the wiper arm and the edge of the hood/bonnet on my car - which is right-hand drive, so a mirror image of yours. It is about 12 mm, or 7/16 inch, at your point (2). The wiper arms fix onto splined shafts and can be moved up and down only in steps. I've re-fitted mine a few times, and usually fit them too low (like yours), remove and re-fix a bit higher.

After past practice I now have slightly better judgement. I fit the wiper arms correctly, look at them and decide they seem a bit too high up, re-fit slightly too low, re-discover that the edge of the bonnet catches on the arm, re-fit again correctly.

The plastic cover on my car is not a perfect fit, either. It is fixed with a few screws (one of mine is corroded beyond use) and by the side mirrors at each end. The mirrors take 10 to 20 minutes each to loosen or remove and re-fix, presumably done by your windscreen fitter. I'd leave any slight wavy edge alone!

Look also at the clearance between the corner of the hood/bonnet and the front end of each mirror housing. It is easy to set up the mirrors so that this gap is too large (looks bad) or too small (scrapes when hinges open).

Each side mirror, on my car, is held in place by a large bolt from the inside. I have to unclip the speaker cover and remove the main radio speaker to get at it. 8 mm hexagon key for the bolt itself. Then there's a small nut and bolt (10 mm spanner) under the bonnet to fix the front end of the mirror. If your car radio, or electric mirror controls, or mirror heaters, do not work after the windscreen replacement, you know why!

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
pduke

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:25 pm »

oke! that's a river of information!!

the only reason i don't take it to them is that i want to experiment a bit in order to learn more about the car. these cars need love and love needs understanding Smiley. on the other hand these guys are glassdrive (i think it is international company) so the know windscreens definitely not experts at Espaces ... probably mine was their first one.
anyway
please tell me something. in order to refit the wiper arm do i just need to unscrew the ...screw...(sorry but my English are awful in auto parts) in point 2? cause so far i did that but it wouldn't move..... Roll Eyes

the plastic cover is another reason to take it to the "professionals". cause i hate parts that do not match!!!

i'll be back with more... Cool

thanx a million again!!

EDIT: i checked the wiper. pulled it out and fit it again. unfortunately i pushed it as low as i could but still the bonnet is scratching it. i am starting to think that the arm is warped. from the screw to the main arm (lets say from 1 to 2) it is not straight. it is skewed,warped,turned along its horizontal axis (i don't know the word...). is this how it is supposed to be?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:43:15 pm by pduke » Logged
BrianM

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:42 pm »

I dont have your model car to check with but maybe the arms are mixed up? Is it possible that the left arm should be on the right & vise versa? Possibly the arm is twisted to fit the other drive because it is at a different angle.
pduke

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:43 pm »

it should be correct. it was working without problems before the windscreen change. i wasn't sure about the left/right order so i checked all the photos in the web. it is  the correct order. the bit curved one is driver's and the straight one co-driver's
i am taking it down to these guys in 2 days. i am really pissed with the situation.
BrianM

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »

Then I think they have bent the arm when removing it. Get a replacement arm or bend it back using a big pipe wrench.
pduke

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »

ok it is official.... i am a complete idiot!!! i am pulling my hair here!!!
it took me 5 days to understand what mhi meant by saying "The wiper arms fix onto splined shafts and can be moved up and down only in steps"
i misunderstood the"up and down" part and was desperately trying to push the wiper down closer to the plastics in order to lower it, while it just needed to unfit and refit it a few "clicks" to the right (by turning it on the axes of the base screw)...
i mean.....
!$!@%!#@^#$^#$^#

thanx a million guys!!  for your help and ... patience..
mhi

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:03 am »

I'm pleased to have helped eventually. Sorry about not explaining clearly enough!

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: