| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gearbox type? Steering rack & general rebuild Qs 1994 Espace Mk2 2.1TD J63 UK  (Read 5584 times)
GrahamT

« on: November 12, 2013, 02:38:16 pm »

Hi All, I am currently rebuilding old faithful and while it is apart I would like to fit a new/recon steering rack and gearbox (Did change a steering rack once, never again! Not without the engine out anyway).
I have asked around about getting a recon gearbox, or mine overhauled, and I am being told that the parts are obsolete and not available!
Is this correct or do any of you knowledgable chaps know of a source of gearbox parts?
Is the gearbox also used in other vehicles that might help my search? Trafic/Master/Savanna/21??

Haven't looked into steering racks yet, is anyone aware of a good source? UK would make life easy but I am open to suggestions having recently bought suspension arms for another car from Germany at half the UK price!!!

I am also going to recondition the heater blower motor and re jig the method for mounting the bumper (grrrr). Anything else I should consider while the car is in "exploded diagram" mode? :-)

Thanks,
Graham
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:59:55 pm »

Hi All, I am currently rebuilding old faithful and while it is apart I would like to fit a new/recon steering rack and gearbox (Did change a steering rack once, never again! Not without the engine out anyway).

I don't know if the diesel is that much worse that the Series 1 Quadra but I changed my power steering rack in the Quadra without too much problem - it was certainly easier than quite a few other jobs I can think of!  But then the jobs these manufacturers expect a mechanic to carry out at times is unbelievable even to a professional mechanic let alone a DIY one.  Also it is not always best to follow the workshop manual without careful consideration.  Sometimes this is because they write these manuals whilst only thinking of their vehicle i.e. a LHD one.  Sometimes a RHD one calls for a different procedure.

When I changed my rack, it said in the manual the rack had to come out through the right hand wheel arch.  I took a good look and decided it was easier from the left hand wheel arch and so it proved.

As for the rack, Renault quoted over £400 IIRC but I shopped around and found one from a company in Tyneside for £115 including carriage and they didn't even want the old one back.  There is presently a company in London who says that if they don't have one for your particular model they can overhaul and turn around the old rack in short time, and probably at much less cost too.  Just do a search on the 'net.

As for gearboxes, I haven't had to check, but since the Espace used the same as many other Renault such as the R18, R21 and Trafic and have often been used in various mid-engined cars too, I bet you could get one or parts to overhaul one if required, but you need to ignore sometimes what people list - I have found companies listing parts for let's say the R18 or R21 but not the Espace, when in fact they all use the same item - it's just that the stockist doesn't know it!  I wanted uprated rear coil springs for my Quadra and no one claimed to have any, yet several companies listed uprated coils for the normal 2WD version!  Unknown to them they all use the same coil spring!!  We had a similar problem with radiators.

Roy

GrahamT

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:57:33 am »

Hi Roy, your help was invaluable when I changed the rack last time, but I really really wouldn't like to ever do it again!!! Which is why I want to put as good a rack as possible in while the engine and gearbox are out.

Do you know what the gearbox type/code is off hand?

Thanks,
Graham
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:42:16 am »

Hi Roy, your help was invaluable when I changed the rack last time, but I really really wouldn't like to ever do it again!!! Which is why I want to put as good a rack as possible in while the engine and gearbox are out.

Do you know what the gearbox type/code is off hand?

Thanks,
Graham

There are a number of possibilities Graham according to Dialogys, and without your VIN and access the the Renault on-line world database I can't find out which yours would have in it.  However there should be a small alloy plate attached to the gearbox usually near the back with the details stamped in it.  It will take the form of NG and a 4 digit number which is the type and there should be another number, probably a C followed by six digits which is the fabrication number.  If yours is an Espace II diesel with type number J635 or J63D the gearbox will be NG3 and could end 077, 079, 095, or 099.

These four variations are basically the same box with changes owing to updates, so you need the correct numbers to get the right spares if you wish to overhaul it.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: