| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Espace III electrical problems  (Read 29752 times)
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 01:53:09 am »

Finally, I have some good news. I have a working radio, much to my suprise.

Now, if anyone is wondering, the first thing I did to the connector (since my dad knows his electrics), is dump a load of contact cleaner... it didn't... well it did SORT of work, it cleaned up the other loom (radio one, not car body.)
Now if anyone faces a challenge like this, do this, go to your local scrappy
Find an espace
Lift the carpet on the drivers side on a RHD car or passenger side on a LHD car
You'll see a plate (the rusty one in my pics). Undo 3 nuts (easy! they are weird ones as they have no thread as such!)
Remove the plate
Disconnect the green plug which when you look at your own car, will probably have a lot of green stuff around it, this is copper oxidization caused by electrolysis.
Cut it
Take the other lead with you as the wires are in 2 parts.

Go to your espace
Remove the battery lead
Cut the wires one by one and rejoin them one by one (don't cut the whole lot off in one go, the speaker wires are not marked very well, so you could easily mix and match the speaker wires.) using the appropriate connectors.
Plug everything back in including the battery
Test the radio
Tape everything up
And done.
Now, from what I noticed, on the car side and radio side, the looms show red and black (permanent live and ground) on both sides, but the yellow wire on the car loom is actually white on the radio side, this is the "SWITCHED Ignition feed" from what I noticed. I've not interrogated the other wires, but obviously the pink, grey ones correspond to all the grey ones. That is why you cut them one by one, because there is no way to tell which is which.
And I also found, you actually need both feeds for the radio to work, otherwise it will just go "no, I don't want to know you."

While I was at it, I also installed a bluetooth car kit, I selected the "iO Talk" hands free kit (even if I had a spare Parrot car kit made out of parts! Literally, I had 2 intact bits and that was it, I had to source the power loom, display and microphone which I then found a spare one in my room that would of fitted and saved me £7! Oh and it can be stuck to the roof rather than clipped to something.).
The thing is straight forward to install, but the easiest way to install the microphone was to take the side trim off first, poke the microphone and display wire (if you have one, I don't, nor a remote one), route that through first, then remove the seat, radio, etc as you can achieve a neater install as the cables go that way.

As shown here. IIRC, red was the phono cable, blue was the rather thin microphone cable.
I also managed to fit the box, the loom and the

Only one small problem, no mute, oh god, that'll I'll leave until later. You may notice that I can't actually remove the seat, the thread or even just that bolt at the rear hinders me removing the seat as it just simply spins... So I just move the seat out the way until I can be bothered to either cut the bolt off or change the seats. - theres no photo... Grrr, I'll try this with the blue espace whos seat I think I can remove easily.

I also tried the Aux input method for MP3 players and for those wondering, it actually sounds quite good, despite the mono audio. Now to extend the cable across the glovebox. You can select it from the remote and the like and if you don't care that its mono, then you should be OK and unlike the bluetooth car kit, it powers all the speakers and not just the front ones.

Now, to find a few more remote controls (2 for my blue espace, another for my silver one), invite 6 friends for a drive and watch the calamity as everyone fights over the radio.... oh wait, I have no control over the radio, my wife to be takes it over most of the time, I don't have a say, although I did say to her that smoking is banned from the car as she smokes and I never have.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:01:03 am by WessexElectricNutter » Logged

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (Automatic) (1996)
Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (manual) was 1.2 (1997) - under repair
Renault Espace III 2.2 DCi Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Renault Espace III 3.0 V6 Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Vauxhall Omega 2.5L V6 Elite (1998) - under repair
BrianM

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:05 am »

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I had to change one of these once as my friend had a bottle of water leak into the well. Renault have failed to put a drain in them! so of course the radio drowned Sad One thought though, before cutting cables etc, dip the offending connector in coke overnight. This is a trick known to clean the corrosion from connectors, thats why I dont drink it!!
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:12 pm »

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I had to change one of these once as my friend had a bottle of water leak into the well. Renault have failed to put a drain in them! so of course the radio drowned Sad One thought though, before cutting cables etc, dip the offending connector in coke overnight. This is a trick known to clean the corrosion from connectors, thats why I dont drink it!!

I used contact cleaner, its suppose to be made for cleaning contacts and removing corrosion. The problem with that, the corrosion was so bad, the red wire (permanent live) fell off the connector before I even moved it, so a replacement connector was necessary.

I also got thinking, its always best before you go into something like this, to do some research (which is what I did, I did tons of it, thinking the problem maybe elsewhere, little did I realize where it actually was.), I did quite a lot of it and finally something happened. I also need to some how de-leak the car in that area and my back windows are also leaking, so I need to replace the seal to those. I also got in contact with the seller of a cruise control relay and I think I now found out how much simpler it is to install, I've found the throttle is (thankfully) electronic, so in theory, if the ECU is anything like the Corsa's one I have, its a case of adding a few bits and enabling the Cruise control in the ECU. Job done. In practice? Don't go there. Its probably going to be hell. I need to find what wires are needed in the steering column, squib and if they are actually there to begin with, like wanting to fit a taco.

Then is bodywork repairs. :-(

On a different note, does anyone have a set of 7 full leather seats for sale? I know someone had a knackered V6 espace with all 7 available, but I was unable to purchase them (although I should of done really).

WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 10:02:32 pm »

I really need to start a modification thread of my espaces, considering I go for the minimum damage route as a rule, all mods I put in has to be reversible. I.e. No drilling holes or destroying wires. I also went on a shopping spree and sourced some stuff. Reattached 2 door cards that weren't on properly (the joys of used cars!) and wired in an extra socket with fuse using a preface ashtray! Then I found my rear 12v socket is dud, got to replace it now, great. Any more electrical problems please? Also found my left indicator and brakelight stopped working for no reason, dumped more contact cleaner in and working again. I also had a weird fuel gauge issue, went to see potentially new manager for a trainee train driver position and my fuel gauge said I had an extra line of diesel put in overnight, so fuel sender going bad or hot weather?

Considering us southerners in the UK is suffering a heatwave. I just wish I got the camera out for the car when I drove through Petworth which would of made a great setting.

BrianM

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »

Rather than a thread, do a blog. see the link above next to 'home'. Yes I have seen the fuel issue, on an laguna also. You may have to make better contact on the center pin of the light cluster which is the earth. It is a common fault. I see there is a series 4 radio on fleebay. was wondeering if it has a stereo input? Or getting the mp3 replacement for the cd player.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: