| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New carpets?  (Read 4430 times)
TimS

« on: June 20, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »

Has anyone replaced the carpets or the soundproofing on their Murena?

I've taken all the seats out off mine as I have had to send the belts away to be replaced. So it is a good time to tidy up inside. I was surprised that there is no carpet under the seats.

I was wondering about either replacing the carpeting with some better quality stuff, but have no idea how difficult it will be to get it out and replace it neatly. I've done it in other cars in the past where the carpet wasn't " pre-formed". Is the Murena carpet moulded to the shape of the footwell? Is it worth ordering any (expensive ) bits from Simon or just buying a large roll of autmotive carpet and cutting it down myself?

Also has anyone tried putting more sound insulation down under the seats and carpet? Is it easily done or does it create any problems refitting seats and belts? It would be nice if I could reduce road noise a little. Thanks.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »

With the flat floor of the Murena, I would imagine that it would be quite easy to carpet it "off the roll", but to do a quality job you'd need to edge it and fix it to the floor with press studs or self-tappers and cup washers.  The previous owner of my car re-carpeted it and didn't do this and it slides about a bit.  There is an article in the current Practical Classics on carpeting, which might be worth a read.
TimS

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:58:15 pm »

Thanks Pete, I'll go and look up a copy.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:16:27 pm »

Has anyone replaced the carpets or the soundproofing on their Murena?

I've taken all the seats out off mine as I have had to send the belts away to be replaced. So it is a good time to tidy up inside. I was surprised that there is no carpet under the seats.

I was wondering about either replacing the carpeting with some better quality stuff, but have no idea how difficult it will be to get it out and replace it neatly. I've done it in other cars in the past where the carpet wasn't " pre-formed". Is the Murena carpet moulded to the shape of the footwell? Is it worth ordering any (expensive ) bits from Simon or just buying a large roll of autmotive carpet and cutting it down myself?

Also has anyone tried putting more sound insulation down under the seats and carpet? Is it easily done or does it create any problems refitting seats and belts? It would be nice if I could reduce road noise a little. Thanks.

The Murena, especially a 2.2 should already be quiet and in this case, after a test drive at Beaulieu I think the problem is more noise than should be normal - the wheel bearings are making a loud noise.  Once these are replaced you should find the noise a lot lower and more sound insulation probably unnecessary.

If you do put carpet under the seats, be careful not to have it where the frames touch or the extra thickness will probably stop you getting the seat prongs back in their holes.

Since the areas you are talking about are out of sight, no reason to use carpet or anything expensive if you do still want to have some extra insulation - just use some sound insulation not carpet.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: