| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Engine light and a pain to start  (Read 19486 times)
Savo

« on: October 20, 2006, 08:13:10 pm »

Hi Folks

I have a little problem with my espace 2.2 dci the race, yesterday it did not want to start after a few times the light came on on the dashboard the one with the little red engine symbol on it. Finaly the engine started and ran ok for a bit but then it started to shudder/missfire  (i know it is a diesel) then the engine light came on again, i made it home where it has stood till now, has any body got any ideas of what it could be (EGR valve was replaced about 3 months ago ) before i book it into a costly renault dealer.

Thanks
SAVO

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
3.0 RXE Auto (die twice but re-vived)
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 05:51:10 pm »

it did not want to start after a few times the light came on on the dashboard the one with the little red engine symbol on it.

Could be anything, - or at least many different things. And the best way to find out is obviously to call in the Renault folks, or rather their Diaglogys software... The fault will be recorded in the computer.

I don't think the EGR could cause this. But if they had your car in their hands, maybe they pushed some wires around by accident ?

I have had two faults on my 2002 2.2dci (also a "The Race") - the one was the TDC sensor, and the other was the wires from the turbo-pressure sensor which had been cut by the aircon-compressor belt. The wires had somehow fallen down onto the belt, and slowly, they were worn through.

I don't think my TDC problem gave the "engine" symbol, but rather the "electronic" symbol (the zigzag pictogram) - so this hint may be way off, but it can do no harm to check its connection.

The TDC sensor at the bottom of the flywheel, and you can get to it from under the car. I have attached a picture, where I have circled out the TDC sensor itself. It is "clipped" onto the angine, and must touch the flywheel (!) - and the connector is apparently not up to the job.  On the picture, I had the connector taken apart, as you can see from the dangling connector :-)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:42:13 am by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Savo

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 08:54:16 pm »

Thanks again for your help lennart, i will have a look in the morning (sunday).

Savo

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
Savo

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 06:41:31 pm »

Hi Folks
Just thought i would let you know the out come of my little problem
After going into renault and being put on the machine it came back with..

2 glow plugs have failed, and the tdc sensor was playing up, should get it back renault 14 nov glad that some one else is footing the Bill (insuarnce warranity).

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 08:58:48 am »

Hi Folks
Just thought i would let you know the out come of my little problem
After going into renault and being put on the machine it came back with..

2 glow plugs have failed, and the tdc sensor was playing up, should get it back renault 14 nov glad that some one else is footing the Bill (insuarnce warranity).

Common problems AFAIK, especially the TDC sensor which is prone to fail on these cars... good it's found! let us hear how it turns out! I've got a friend with same engine, when his mechanic tried changing the glow plugs, one of them broke in there! Sad big job taking the head off and fitting everything again

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Savo

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 05:07:08 pm »

Hi Folks

Got the car back from  renault on wednesday new glow plugs all round new tdc sensor worked fine untill................... Angry..TODAY car pulled off the drive put my foot on the gas.. nothing just started to rev a lttle. stoped the car restarted it ,tryed again kept my foot firmly planted through the floor the engine reved very slowly untill it reached about 2000rpm or when the turbo kicked in then in came the power. my problem is at low revs my espace has no power at all in every gear but as soon as the turbo kicks in away she goes...any ideas..before i blame the renault mechanics.  Huh

Thanks 

Savo

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 06:47:04 pm »

Quite possibly the EGR valve getting a bit sticky.

First try taking it on to an open stretch of road, keep it in second gear and drive it for about half a mile with the accelerator down to the floor..... the govenor will stop it over-revving.
If that doesn't clear the carbon build up then the EGR will need to be removed (3 bolts and one electrical connection) and cleaned.

Alternatively you could always take it back to the Renault dealer and try to blame them for the problem.... if nothing else they may just hook it up to the computer without billing you for it but my guess is that they will say it's the EGR and as that is nothing to do with the work they carried out  changing the glow plugs and TDC sensor they will want to bill you for replacing it again when it's likely only to need cleaning of carbon deposits.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Savo

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:46:19 pm »

Hi Martin

My espace had the EGR Valve replaced about 5 months ago would it start to play up so soon ? also when the EGR valve played up i had the electronic symbol come up on the dash, this time i have no fault symbols at all .   Huh Huh

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 09:04:40 pm »

Hi Martin

My espace had the EGR Valve replaced about 5 months ago would it start to play up so soon ? also when the EGR valve played up i had the electronic symbol come up on the dash, this time i have no fault symbols at all .   Huh Huh

I don't think it's uncommon for it to give problems so soon already, but I agree with Martin that it's likely that the EGR is your problem Wink

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Savo

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 10:54:22 pm »

Has any body got any ideas on how to remove the EGR Valve and whereis it located under the bonnet (pics if possible)
 Roll Eyes
Thanks everyone for your help.

Savo

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 10:40:22 am »

If you take a look at the thread "Loss of power - temporarily" ( /forum/index.php?topic=258.0 ) you will find some information relating to the EGR and in it I'd posted a photograph of the location of the valve along with details of how to remove it..... quite easy to get at and reasonably straight forward to remove other than for one of the 3 bolts that is a bit difficult to get at.

Chances are you'll find a small piece of carbon lodged in one of the two diaphragms of the EGR or a build up of carbon in the diaphragm seats or on the shaft. I don't think you'll find that your valve will have exceptionally heavy deposits of carbon.... I say that not because its only 5 months old but because usually if it gets wedged open with a lot of carbon then although you would be able to get the engine to rev it would have very little pulling power and also the warning light on the dash comes on, which you didn't get. If it sticks open only slightly then you have a lack of responsiveness from the engine although you can still manage to get some pulling power and the warning light doesn't come on.

I've attached a picture of the valve from a 2.2dCi so that you know what to expect once you have it removed and can see the two diaphragms that are likely to need the carbon removing.

Hope that helps and you get it sorted.

Martin
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 12:48:04 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Savo

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 12:02:40 am »

Thanks Martin

Got all the info i need,

by the way it hasn't played up lately (sshhhhh)

Thanks again

Savo

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
TheJoker

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 01:24:26 pm »

Savo,

You probably read the power-loss thread:  Mine hasn't played up since either. I make a point of revving the engine out once in a while to keep the deposits as low as possible.... Got other problems tho  Tongue

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Savo

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 06:24:00 pm »

Hi Joker

I give the engine a good blast once a week when the wifes not with me, she hates me opening up the engine, when i do it ,when shes with me her eyes do this   Shocked.

Savo

2.2dci the race
Zafira 1.8 elegance
1.9 Tdi ghia galaxy 115
1.9 Tdi ghia 110
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 08:42:53 pm »

I give the engine a good blast once a week
Yes, isn't life just great sometimes ?! - "Doctors Order" :-)

I think I'll go pour myself a good Islay whisky, as I've also just read alcohol makes you live longer.

Cheers!

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: