| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Serious challenges.  (Read 66639 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:16 am »

Update!
I had a apare cam lying about that Anders had given me and that I intended to have reprofiled to Holbay 58C specs.
After all the trouble so far with the engine and head I knew that if I did not get the Holbay cam now I newer would get it done.
So cam off to reprofiling and while it was away I finally found a blacksmith who could weld a new fitting on the exhaust manifold so I could mount a stainless muffler and "U" pipe that I bought from Anders 2 years ago.
It turns out that none of the big muffler chains do that kind of work anymore. They say there is no money in it, so they do not have the machines and only do standard parts. So check off one more challenge.  Cheesy

Well then the cam came back and looked beautiful. However when I tried to install it I discovered that it did not fit.  Shocked The bearings were two tenths too big for the head.  Huh That should not be possible, and I had never measured them thinking it was a standard cam.
The bearings have now been ground to specs of the original cam and it is finally installed. Smiley

I now 'only' have the job of reassembling the engine, cooling pipes, electrical and pray I remember how, or have enough pictures to remind me. Then filling it with Evans Prep Fluid to remove water remains, and of course trying to start it.
Finally draining the prep fluid and filling with Evans waterless coolant.
Then off to MOT.

All that will probably take a day or two.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:46:35 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:08 pm »

No harm in being optimistic, but it's a Matra and then it's possible it will take a few hours more Smiley

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2014, 07:42:43 pm »

Well, two days have gone. The head is on and torqued. The distributor reinstalled and aligned. The exhaust manifold is hanging there with some of the bolts and the heat shield installed. I quit because of darkness and mist and drizzle.
Next I need to mount the cooling pipe under the intake manifold. I should have mounted it before the head was installed. Angry
There is almost no room for my big hands to get in there and loosen the two nuts on the manifold and mount the pipe. But I will succeed as there is no way the head is coming off again. Wink

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2014, 05:27:36 am »

If you can get the tensioner in without removing the engine this must be a piece of cake Wink
I'm sure you succeed.

Herman

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2014, 06:57:14 pm »

If you can get the tensioner in without removing the engine this must be a piece of cake Wink
I'm sure you succeed.

Herman

Hello Herman.

You were right, of course.  Grin
Today I got ehe exhaust manifold completely fastened and torqued.
The cooling pipe under the manifold was not so difficult after all. Getting all the hoses attached turned out to be fairly easy. Since I had gotten stainless cooling pipes for the engine compartment I naturally could not be satisfied with the old rusty brackets that secure them. So new stainless brackets were made and mounted. That turned out to be more difficult than anticipated. I had to make extra holes and clamp them tight with a screw. Otherwise I could not hold them, get the bolt inserted and turn the bolt fastening them to the block. Angry There is only 2" between the brackets making it difficult get my fingers in there to turn the bolt. Fastening it requires a universal joint on the socket set. But it did get done.
Finally mounted the stainless, double exhaust pipe muffler and discovered that the U-pipe does not quite fit.  Sad
Back to the Blacksmith to get 3/4" cut out and re-welded.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2014, 10:18:09 pm »

In fact almost nothing go easy on this cars.
You need to be as flexible as as a serpent to work in the back.
If I been there a few hours all my muscles are stiff.
And we call that fun Huh

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »

In fact almost nothing go easy on this cars.
You need to be as flexible as as a serpent to work in the back.
If I been there a few hours all my muscles are stiff.
And we call that fun Huh
And the fun continues. Cheesy
I now got all the coolant hoses and vacuum hoses connected. The carburettor is mounted. Still need to mount air-filter housing, fill Evans PrepFluid and attempt to start up and set the timing. That will have to wait for the U-pipe to come back from the blacksmith.  Grin

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2014, 04:38:36 pm »

[/quote]
And the fun continues. Cheesy

[/quote]
SUCCESS! Grin
Its on the road again.
Started right up, albeit a bit rough. Adjusting the timing took care of that .  Cheesy
It still need to have the idle speed turned up a notch, due to the Holbay cam, but tomorrow.
Today I took it home and I can feel the extra power. Grin
I will try to get it on a rolling road to have it adjusted best possible.
But what a relief to have it running again. MOT on Monday, deadline is Tuesday, so in the nick of time. Wink

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2014, 02:26:53 pm »

-- MOT on Monday, deadline is Tuesday, so in the nick of time. Wink
Just passed the MOT,  Grin but with remarks to have the right side steering "Lenkmancette" and both lower ball joints replaced. The joints had no play, but the seals were cracked. Sad

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2014, 06:36:09 pm »

Congratulations with succeeding the MOT and get it running again.
The price of lower and steering balljoints is not high but  Roy mentioned already that there  are rubber boots for it.
However, I did the same and it will take another 50 years before the new joints are end of life.

Herman

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »

Congratulations with succeeding the MOT and get it running again.
The price of lower and steering balljoints is not high but  Roy mentioned already that there  are rubber boots for it.
However, I did the same and it will take another 50 years before the new joints are end of life.

Herman

Thanks Herman.
I have a set of balljoints and a set of gaithers for the rack and pinion in stock, so I will do the repair one of these days.

By the way. Would you like me to return a spanner spring in good working order to you? Wink When I changed the oil I inserted a goose neck with a magnet into the oil sump and wouldn't you know... It came back with the original spring stuck to it.
It has been in there since before I bought the car.  Shocked

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 06:51:51 pm »

That's the trouble with springs.
These things jump around Cheesy
You can keep the spring.
Maybe Roy wants it to complete a tensioner Smiley

Herman

V-M

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2014, 01:12:52 pm »

About that different type of tensioner. Thats from Peugeot diesel engine (I dont remeber details). It can be used but tension covers need to be off before chain is adjusted on correct tense. One solution was to make hole on cover to release that tensioner. But It was easy to fit and seem working nicely. I have build one N9T engine with that type of tensioner.

V-M
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:39 pm »

---
However, one word of caution: the two slipper pads should be close to the correct path of the chain and the curved one is adjustable.  I have found them too far away from the chain and leaving the tensioner to take up this excess slack.  When correctly adjusted the slipper removes most of the slackness and means the tensioner works closer in its body and has a longer life with less wear.  Since you have not had the timing cover off it will be difficult to tell how well adjusted the slipper pad is set.

Roy

Hi Roy.
I forgot to mention that I did check the position of the slipper pads. They appear to be set correctly. In fact there was very little slack for the tensioner to pick up. I am confident the setup is good.
Thanks for the warning.
Regards.
Jon.

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 01:42:30 pm »

When assembling the carburettor I had the spring in the photo left over. I know I removed it, but I cannot remember from where or see where it fits. On Jan's murena we don't see a spring like it.
Is there anyone who knows where it goes? Huh

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: