| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MOT Decision crowd ideas  (Read 5139 times)
johnnymartin

« on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:00 am »

Ha - so having sorted out dashboard on Mk3 with 130,000 on clock, took it for mot

its going to be about £450-500...including welding up new sill back towards the fuel tank andreplacing some pipes that run over back of fuel tank, front brake (just wear & tear) and a suspension component.  Ouch!

well cross about welding - i thought this was a strong point!  Well any ideas/suggestions?!  Interior/exterior is well worn.  but shes taken us to scotland/south of france etc...to MOT or not to MOT that is the question!
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:31:27 pm »

£400-500 is nothing compared to some MOTs, my last MOT for the Clio cost me £200 to get it through and that was to replace a brake pipe that was made worse by the fact I tried to use it without the proper tools.

If it helps influence your decision, my diesel espace cost me £1870 before the MOT and another £120 on top with the MOT. But look around to see what else is about to go wrong before deciding, it might just be £500 and thats it for a year, or £500 and about a week down the line, £1500, it depends.

And if you have a DCi engine with the rocker cover fault, I have a spare gasket here I'm trying to get rid of Smiley

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (Automatic) (1996)
Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (manual) was 1.2 (1997) - under repair
Renault Espace III 2.2 DCi Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Renault Espace III 3.0 V6 Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Vauxhall Omega 2.5L V6 Elite (1998) - under repair
BrianM

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:01:32 pm »

I have just welded sills on both sides of one of ours. The sill fills with dirt & stays damp if not cleaned out. Welding has allways been an expensive exercise as it is quite time consuming, it took me two days for both sides.  I always think 'better the devil you know'. I'ts still a cheap car at the end of the day, you will need to spend between 1000 to 1500 for a decent one. I see there is a dci on ebay for over 2k! don't think he is going to sell that one any day soon.
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:30 pm »

I have just welded sills on both sides of one of ours. The sill fills with dirt & stays damp if not cleaned out. Welding has allways been an expensive exercise as it is quite time consuming, it took me two days for both sides.  I always think 'better the devil you know'. I'ts still a cheap car at the end of the day, you will need to spend between 1000 to 1500 for a decent one. I see there is a dci on ebay for over 2k! don't think he is going to sell that one any day soon.

And thats the start for a DCi. I brought mine with so many problems (see blog) for £650. Its cost me 3 times as much to fix, but having said that, my V6 one I have not spent a single penny and apart from an irratating misfire, still starts!

So, if you love the espace, Brians point maybe a valid one, considering scrap for a vehicle like that is something like £100 to £200, is it worth it?

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (Automatic) (1996)
Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (manual) was 1.2 (1997) - under repair
Renault Espace III 2.2 DCi Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Renault Espace III 3.0 V6 Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Vauxhall Omega 2.5L V6 Elite (1998) - under repair
johnnymartin

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:06:43 pm »

thank you for feedback and interesting about sills - sadly I think she will be sent into orbit.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: