| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Waterless coolant  (Read 9940 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: July 09, 2014, 11:44:09 am »

I have just come across information about waterless coolant. Do any of you have experience with the stuff? I do not recall seeing any threads about the stuff here.
The product is from Evans and is called Vintage Cool 180. It sounds promising.
There are other products, like Liquid Intelligence 115A.

I would like to hear what the opinions are on the stuff. It seems like it would be ideal for the Murena.

Update.
I found the Evans product at 78£ per 5 litres, on Amazon.co.uk. You also need to clean the cooling system first, using their coolant prep fluid at 49£ per 5 litres.
Perhaps you can get away with 10 litres for the prep stuff, but may end up having to get 15 litres of coolant. Angry
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:54:06 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:59 am »

Watch Wheeler Dealer om Youtube: Youtube.vom/Watch?v=SAk_x33B2iq
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:24:46 pm »

Watch Wheeler Dealer om Youtube: Youtube.vom/Watch?v=SAk_x33B2iq

Just watched the segment and heard the stuff praised. But has any Murena owners tried it? It seems that with the sometimes troublesome cooling system in the Murena this stuff could solve many of the problems. Huh Huh

lewisman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:52:03 pm »

I am sure that Roy posted something about this a while back.  Need to do a search....
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »

I am sure that Roy posted something about this a while back.  Need to do a search....

I'm not sure whether I have written anything on the forum myself, about waterless coolant!

I certainly know about it and am considering trying some, but I also have some Water Wetter which I was going to try at some point.

The idea is to aid heat transfer from metal to coolant, which is what the Water Wetter is supposed to do.  If it helps great, and this is likely to be cheaper than the Waterless Coolant.

However, with either you don't want to waste it, so make sure the cooling system is 'top notch' first.  So your radiator is new or very good, your hoses are all good, new rad. switch, thermostat, temp. sender, new gaskets where necessary and of course a new water pump.  If the system is really good, you would be surprised how much difference it makes without any of these extras.

This is another example of where you should not try to improve something with third party things before making sure that it is functioning at its best in the first place.

Roy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:14:45 pm by roy4matra » Logged

jlg

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:15:39 am »

I totally agree with Roy: with a refurbished system, a Murena should manage to regulate its temperature easily. On my 2.2 with twin Dell'Orto, I have changed all the pipes (4 to front, 3 in engine bay) to new SS ones, fitted a new radiator and a new fan switch (I chose a 92ºC-87ªC which is a bit lower than the original 95ºC-86ºC). Even in the current UK weather (nearly 30ºC) and in traffic jams, my car never goes over 92ºC and as soon as the road is free, the temperature goes back down to about 85ºC.

JL.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »

--- fitted a new radiator ---
JL.
Where did you get a new radiator? Neither Simons or Car Joy have them in stock.

jlg

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:01:30 pm »

From Simon, in February 2012. It's one of his improved ones with stainless steel brackets. The old one was about to fall out...
I doubt it will help but just in case: the Valeo sticker on the side of the radiator had the following references:
- 834157F0 (barcode)
- 883715 (barcode)
- TA372

883715 seems to be a Visa/C15 reference (application tab):
http://www.autopartoo.com/search/defaultsearch.html?kw=VALEO%20%20883715

Cross-references:
http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/partscrossinterchange.html?search=883715

The C15 radiator would not have the top and bottom brackets to hold the fan but it should be relatively easy to make some adaptable ones like Simon did (or adapt your old ones).

JL.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:14:06 pm by jlg » Logged
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:27 am »

You can easily have a Danish radiator workshop to fi a new core to your old radiator. You can even get a radiator core that is more efficient then the original.
I have done this a couple of times.

Hans
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »

You can easily have a Danish radiator workshop to fi a new core to your old radiator. You can even get a radiator core that is more efficient then the original.
I have done this a couple of times.

Hans
Thanks Hans.
I will try to find a shop that will do that. Smiley

Regards. Jon

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »

Update.
I found the Evans product at 78£ per 5 litres, on Amazon.co.uk. You also need to clean the cooling system first, using their coolant prep fluid at 49£ per 5 litres.
Perhaps you can get away with 10 litres for the prep stuff, but may end up having to get 15 litres of coolant. Angry

No, you can buy the Waterless Coolant in 2-litre as well as 5-litre sizes.

Yes, if you have had coolant in the system and you are going to swap over you must get rid of ALL the water as you must not have any more than 3% water mixed with the waterless coolant (and better not to have any) so you need to use their prep. stuff first which absorbs the small pockets of water that will still be left around.  If however, you have just rebuilt an engine and it is dry, and you have drained the cooling system and let it dry out whilst rebuilding the engine, you can simply fill it with the waterless coolant.

I think it would suit the Murena well because this stuff should not have any vapour pockets which can cause local hot spots which may be the cause of the Murena heads cracking.  I have just written an article for our next club magazine on this very topic.

Roy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:03:06 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: