| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wheel bolts  (Read 6478 times)
TimS

« on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:05 pm »

Do I have standard wheel bolts?
The new wheel nut covers I've just bought from Simn, the proper Murena ones, are a lot taller than my existing bolts.

Any thoughts on how to clean these up as well?
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 04:52:07 pm »

------

I use phosphoric acid, 85% concentrated. Remove all grease and dirt, then soak them in the acid for an hour or until all rust is gone. Rinse with water. They turn grey and afterward the head can be painted with 99% Zink, or Hammerite. Threads get Copper grease before installing.

But you can also get new chrome plated bolts in i.e. Biltema. Also locking bolts with key.
They do start rusting pretty quick, though. Sad

Matranaut par excellence Cool
TimS

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:31:16 am »

------

I use phosphoric acid, 85% concentrated. Remove all grease and dirt, then soak them in the acid for an hour or until all rust is gone. Rinse with water. They turn grey and afterward the head can be painted with 99% Zink, or Hammerite. Threads get Copper grease before installing.

But you can also get new chrome plated bolts in i.e. Biltema. Also locking bolts with key.
They do start rusting pretty quick, though. Sad

Thanks Jon. I was going to degrease and paint them. Hammerite good for all things. Smiley
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:33 pm »

The new wheel nut covers I've just bought from Simon, the proper Murena ones, are a lot taller than my existing bolts.

They might be from Simon but they are NOT the original Murena wheel bolt covers Tim, sorry.  I am pretty sure the originals are no longer available and whilst these may fit, and look O.K. they are domed where the originals are almost flat.

Roy

TimS

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:40:55 pm »

Ah, no, slight confusion.

I have a bag of proper Murena wheel nut covers just arrived. The ones in the photo are what were on the car when I bought it.

I want to check if the actual wheel nuts look original, as the heads seem quite short compared to the one illustrated on Simons site. Made me think that as well as non standard covers, the nuts might not be original either.

The new wheel nut covers I've just bought from Simon, the proper Murena ones, are a lot taller than my existing bolts.

They might be from Simon but they are NOT the original Murena wheel bolt covers Tim, sorry.  I am pretty sure the originals are no longer available and whilst these may fit, and look O.K. they are domed where the originals are almost flat.

Roy
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:22:10 am »

Ah, no, slight confusion.

I have a bag of proper Murena wheel nut covers just arrived. The ones in the photo are what were on the car when I bought it.

I want to check if the actual wheel nuts look original, as the heads seem quite short compared to the one illustrated on Simons site. Made me think that as well as non standard covers, the nuts might not be original either.

Ah I understand now.  I'll get one of mine and take a photo and send you later, but it looks about right.  (photo now sent)

Roy
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:50:19 am by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: