| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Replacement Bumper Rubber required / Simon reproduction items now in stock  (Read 7504 times)
GP

« on: March 23, 2014, 10:48:40 am »

Having run out of spare bumper rubber for my Murena, I am struggling to find a source of new or secondhand items.
Simon in Germany have no stock.
The front is priority which is longer than the rear. (That explains why yours were too short Pete!)
I am hoping that one of the European Clubs may have put this into reproduction at some time. Does anyone have a source of new or secondhand in good condition?
If there is no success I may even look into reproduction in the U.K. myself if there is a demand?

http://www.condaleplastics.com/plastic-extrusions/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:24:47 am by GP » Logged
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »

Having run out of spare bumper rubber for my Murena, I am struggling to find a source of new or secondhand items.
Simon in Germany have no stock.
The front is priority which is longer than the rear. (That explains why yours were too short Pete!)
I am hoping that one of the European Clubs may have put this into reproduction at some time. Does anyone have a source of new or secondhand in good condition?
If there is no success I may even look into reproduction in the U.K. myself if there is a demand?

http://www.condaleplastics.com/plastic-extrusions/

What about the metal band inside the front rubber? Do you have that, or do you just stick the rubber on with two-sided foam tape?
I have given up trying to get the rubber back onto the metal strip. The rubber is not pliable enough and the metal not straight enough. Angry
I purchased some rolls of auto moulding mounting tape. It allows you to remove the rubber and reposition it, if necessary. But after 24 hours it is hardened and permanent.

I see why you are interested in Politecnics' one piece front bumper  Wink
I have thought of modifying the bumper so it is flush with the hood and fenders, thus not requiring the rubber. Others have done that and it looks good, I think.  Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
GP

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:43 am »

Hi Jon,
I myself keep the metal band under the rubber. My final method of choice for fitting the rubber is to run a hot bath and put both items in the bath. When the rubber becomes pliable start from one end and fit it over the metal band and re-immerse  as you go along.
I use shortened 4mm Riv-Nuts on the metal band and attach with 4mm dome head screws and a combination of a large metal and rubber washer from inside the bumper. (I  seem to remove them often!)  Cry

I agree flushing off the bumper at the top outer edges with the hood and fender does look smart and is a future option I may have to take.

Cheers,

Graham
GP

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:06:47 pm »

Good news is that Simon now have these reproduction rubbers in stock for 46.90 EUR:  Click on the blue hyperlink in :-

http://www.simon-auto-shop.com/shop/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SESSIONID=0588800946250558&AnbieterID=16&sprachdir=../en/&Sprache=EN&hauptseite=detail.htm&KatalogID=0&bnr=14024

They are very flexible indeed but do not have the fullness in body, stiffness or impact resistance of the originals, but do the job cosmetically.

N.B. They do need to be fitted to the metal plate though, which at least can be done with your bare fingers or a bicycle tyre lever very easily in a couple of minutes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:24:46 am by GP » Logged
amidlamil

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:25:13 am »

hello GP and all

it s my first post here,  I am a FROG !  Grin (I am so sorry about that Smiley)

french ppl are wondering about lenght of this front rubber, excuse, me did you finish mounting,

I have to change mine also
did you also get the metal part from Simon ?

many thanks for expérience and pictures
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 02:12:52 pm »

You can use the original metal strip.  It is probably best to do this as you can then be sure that the holes line up.  The length of the rubber is very generous and I was able to trim a few cm off each end.  I fitted mine with 14mm long large head blind rivets.
GP

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 05:22:26 pm »

hello GP and all

it s my first post here,  I am a FROG !  Grin (I am so sorry about that Smiley)

french ppl are wondering about lenght of this front rubber, excuse, me did you finish mounting,

I have to change mine also
did you also get the metal part from Simon ?

many thanks for expérience and pictures

Hi, The front rubber length is 171cm. (rear rubber 167cm.)

I have not actually refitted them to the car yet, but will be re-using the original metal part myself.

amidlamil

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 08:33:44 pm »

many THANKS from froggy !! Wink

i asked a quote from Simon (but my metal blade is "dead"

"Merci "
amidlamil

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:36:56 pm »

hello BONJOUR !

thats what a frog can do !!  Grin its even written in "frogbif" language !  Grin
i received from sim very quickely
Thanks for that good info

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: