| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: JE0K - G9T will and wont start.  (Read 5093 times)
WessexElectricNutter

« on: February 12, 2015, 03:27:32 pm »

Another "help my Espace won't start!" issue.
My engine doesn't like cold weather, the garage have noticed it and so have I. It doesn't want to even think of starting at temperatures lower than 4ºC, but above that it starts fine. It also starts when it wants to. I can keep cranking it 3 times and it won't think about doing it or I can crank it once and it will start fine.

Not plugged a tester into it yet as I don't have clip, so I am wondering what issues there could be? The only error I know about which was last on the car was "coolant temperature circuit" which was cleared a year ago by the garage. It also takes ages to warm up so I am wondering if this is the issue.
I did think it was glow plugs, but apparently, 2 of them are brand new. So, suggestions?

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (Automatic) (1996)
Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (manual) was 1.2 (1997) - under repair
Renault Espace III 2.2 DCi Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Renault Espace III 3.0 V6 Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Vauxhall Omega 2.5L V6 Elite (1998) - under repair
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:56:35 pm »

Spoke to the garage today and they told me this:

Glow plugs, 2 of them are brand new and fine (well they did 4000 miles), 2 of them are seized in the head. But they keep starting it and keep finding nothing wrong with it. Typical! The only thing I have noticed is that the starter is slower to turn when below freezing then when above. Thoughts? As I an wondering if I am looking at a starter, battery, injectors, high pressure pump (having said that, it turns on the key above freezing), coolant temperature sensor or some other sensor? I had the MAF one replaced last year and I don't think that is causing problems.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:29 am »

Spoke to the garage today and they told me this:

Glow plugs, 2 of them are brand new and fine (well they did 4000 miles), 2 of them are seized in the head.

And that may be the problem.  You don't say if the two seized in the head are giving good readings, but I suspect the fact that they are seized means they are also not good.  You only need a good ohmmeter to check them.  Remove the terminal from the top and check the resistance (positive lead to top connector pin, and negative to earth)  A good glow plug will give between 0.8 and 1.1 ohms.  It doesn't matter if you have two new ones and you're assuming they are still good.  Even new ones can fail!  Check them all.  It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to check all four.

If two are no good, then the engine will be difficult or impossible to start when very cold.

If the two seized ones are also no good, then it is head off time to replace them, and that usually means the engine has to come out, sorry.

Roy

WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:32:23 pm »

You say that, I got it back from the garage (as they were stumped), started it up on a really cold morning like -1C outside and low and behold, 4 seconds of cranking, it started.

WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 05:06:42 pm »

God, my espaces are acting weird recently, the diesel one now starts first time every time, if I remember to put my foot on the clutch first. Something has been done to it but the garage don't know what they did to make it work and I can't figure it out. Maybe a connector was oxidised so when they tested it, it was enough to clean it? Its a thought

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: