| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Rear light kits  (Read 29361 times)
lewisman

« on: October 31, 2006, 01:13:44 am »

Anyone seen the rear light kits that Will at Matra Magic sells?  Photos?

I like the idea of new rear lights but they could look a bit naff unless it is done right.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 06:52:46 am »

No not for real.

There's been a few Ferrari conversions done on Murenas, especially in Germany I think. I've seen a particular Testarossa conversion - from the rear you could actaully be mistaken (unless you had the real thing to compare with of course).

Anyway, that's off topic... I wouldn't think it would look right in any way as the appearance of the car would be changed substantially. But it's better than some other options. I think the rear glass is being remade now by Politecnic, but of course it's very costly. Probably not more than a rear light glass for a new Renault Laguna or something, but more than other parts for our cars Wink

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Will Falconer

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 08:22:58 am »

Lewisman is actually referring to the the tail-light repacement panel for the lights, not the the tailgate glass.

Although I've sold a number of these they've all gone abroad and I've yet to see pictures of them in place on a car.

(The tailgate glass is still available at about 350€ excluding tax so there's no excuse for ferrari wannabe lookalikes!)
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 08:29:43 pm »

I have noticed that Politecnic apparently stock the covers for the tail-lights - which at least look original on the picture  http://www.politecnic.com/mateclairage.htm

Even if these "Ecran de feu arrière" are not cheap (137,00 €) it is still great news, - original or reproduced - I thought they were some of the "sorry-dude-no-longer-available" parts for the Murena !

I also noticed that Politecnic quote MatraMagic as their UK-speaking counterpart. Thats VERY nice, Will ! :-)

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
lewisman

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »

I was hoping for a look similar to the rear lights on the last of the Lotus Esprits.  What I don't want is a panel with lights sticking on top.

Will, do you know if the lights fit flush?
lewisman

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:57:36 am »

I finally found a picture of the rear light kit.  Still to make up my mind if it is what I want.....
http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/7501/matradag061kkk5og.jpg
lewisman

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:01:21 am »

macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 10:25:42 am »

Oh please no...
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 01:04:19 pm »

Why would you want to do that to your Murena?.. what have it ever done to deserve such punishment?  Huh
One should not mess around to much with the design of the murena.. its close to perfect as it is..

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:18:16 pm »

IMO The only reason to EVER do this is that the original taillight covers are unavailable.
But I acknowledge that people have different taste, so I won't judge and say it is ugly - but I WILL comment that *I* find it rather erhm ... unfitting.

It may make the car look a bit more like a Ferrari 308, but frankly I have seen people spending more money on making their Matra look like a Ferrari, that it would probably cost to buy a 308GT4 in the first place.

I don't blame the 308 lovers, I adore the 308gtb myself, but I also adore the Matra Murena for what it is.

/Lennart

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
lewisman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 10:02:39 pm »

I do not want to make my murena look like a Ferrari!  The main reason for changing the rear lights is the general poor quality of the ones on my murena and the kit looked okay in theory (based on Will's Matra Magic site).  I don't really like the kit now that I have (finally) found a picture.  I have also managed to source some red lens repair resin from Eastwood, America (they have some interesting stuff that you don't seem to get here) so I should be able to make an invisible repair to the lenses. 

All I need to do is find a Talbot Horizon to steal the right hand light unit!  To think I scrapped three of them around ten years ago and didn't keep any of the rear lights!

I have no intention of replacing the rear screen so no worries about fitting a rear deck!

I might have a play with the front and rear bumper as both are damaged and I have found replacements.  I really don't like the black rubber trim and the front spoiler has always looked a bit too short.  Mind you I don't like any of the "snowplough" kits that seem to be popular in mainland Europe Shocked so nothing too extreme.

As my murena is a bit tatty I do not intend to go down the "keep it original" road, rather improve it where possible without losing the essential character of the car. 

lewisman

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:14:04 pm »

I was running out of space in my last post but I was going to say that murenas are good enough to deserve a bit of "development" whether it is replacing a tired engine with a more modern unit, upgrading the electrics, re-trimming the interior or small tweaks to the exterior.

Having said all that my favourite murena is a red S with Azev wheels!
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 12:32:17 am »

murenas are good enough to deserve a bit of "development" whether it is replacing a tired engine with a more modern unit, upgrading the electrics, re-trimming the interior or small tweaks to the exterior.

Having said all that my favourite murena is a red S with Azev wheels!

I'm all with you here, - except - oh no ... NOT ANOTHER "READ MAFIA" car! - OMG! :-)

But improvements are fine in my book, its the really major ones that sometimes makes one wonder why people got a Murena in the first place.

I'm happy that you were not going down the Ferrai road. Actually I never thought that was your intention, my comment was more about some of the (mainly mainland-Europe) owners I have seen over the years.

Sometimes people break Murenas for spares, so you might be able to source a set of rearlight covers from ebay.

BUT, on a red car, I'm almost willing to accept the kit-lights - provided all other options have been exhausted - here is a very crude hue-replaced picture :

lewisman

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 01:07:08 am »

Thanks for that Lennart Grin.  My attempt at changing blue to red resulted in the lights turning green Shocked

To be honest, the lights are a wee bit too small and it should be flush - with the number plate re-located to the bumper (as per the Bagheera) then it might work!

I had two Bagheeras and two Ranchos in the 80's but I never managed to find the cash for a murena until now.  I have had mostly Alfas for the past ten years so ultimately an Alfa V6 powered murena would be a bit of a dream car...
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 07:45:47 am »

As my murena is a bit tatty I do not intend to go down the "keep it original" road, rather improve it where possible without losing the essential character of the car.

Same goes for me... anything to make the murena a bit more "user friendly" in everyday use.  Cheesy

Engine wise i think the pug 505Ti conversion is the best way to go about improving the power of a 2.2.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:47:55 am by krede » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: