| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Installing valve stem seals  (Read 6059 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: June 14, 2015, 05:57:07 pm »

So. I am assembling  my N9te cylinder head and am about to fit some new valve stem seals that I bought from simon in Germany.
I was expecting to have to use a deep socket to tap them into place, but I am able to just press these one onto the valve guides with my thumb, and removing them again is just as easy.
Keeping in mind how much work it was to remove the old ones, this seems wrong.
Do I need a special tool to crimp the iron strip on the valve seal tight around the valve guide ? 
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 06:28:40 pm »

So. I am assembling  my N9te cylinder head and am about to fit some new valve stem seals that I bought from simon in Germany.
I was expecting to have to use a deep socket to tap them into place, but I am able to just press these one onto the valve guides with my thumb, and removing them again is just as easy.
Keeping in mind how much work it was to remove the old ones, this seems wrong.
Do I need a special tool to crimp the iron strip on the valve seal tight around the valve guide ? 

When I had my cylinder head repaired the shop also ground the valves and installed new valve seals.
I supplied the seals from a complete gasket kit I had bought. I believe it was from Simons. However the shop didn't use them because they said they did not fit right, so they supplied their own set.
I do not know if they were too small, or too large. Just that they weren't right.

All that said, I do believe that the seals should be a press fit and not be easy to remove. If I recall right, the inner hole is kept tight by a spring inside the seal and outer surface is rubber coated and has a pair of small ridges that shall ensure a tight fit. I will look for them in my parts. I think I kept them after all.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 07:25:31 pm »

Thanks for the reply Jon. That strengthens my suspicion that they are not the right ones, and also worries me a bit because I have most recently also had trouble with the water pump repair kit they supply, and many of the critical engine parts I am using I have had to order from simon as well (big end + con rod bearings, gaskets etc.), And though it is very convenient to have an on line store for most of the parts for a 33 your old car... what good is it if you cant trust the parts to pit properly ? :/

Anyway, I will contact a Peugeot dealer tomorrow, so fingers crossed they can still supply them (Head gaskets are no longer available, luckely Hans secured one from the French ebay for me )

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:29:53 pm by krede » Logged
GP

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:52 am »

I'm using a Puegeot 505 Turbo ROC Tagora Head Gasket from Mecaparts.

Not cheap, but available and good insurance for your engine.

http://www.mecaparts.com/Jointculasse/meillor.php?lang=0&sortie=html&marque=PEUGEOT-CITROEN

N.B. Can you spot the Matra Murena in Galerie Photos on their home page?  Tongue
      (Click on the image's once found)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:52:22 pm by GP » Logged
GP

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:50:39 pm »

Thanks for the reply Jon. That strengthens my suspicion that they are not the right ones, and also worries me a bit because I have most recently also had trouble with the water pump repair kit they supply, and many of the critical engine parts I am using I have had to order from simon as well (big end + con rod bearings, gaskets etc.), And though it is very convenient to have an on line store for most of the parts for a 33 your old car... what good is it if you cant trust the parts to pit properly ? :/

Anyway, I will contact a Peugeot dealer tomorrow, so fingers crossed they can still supply them (Head gaskets are no longer available, luckely Hans secured one from the French ebay for me )

Did you have any luck with Puegeot? :Part no. 2 0956 14 for 2 seals.
I can't let you have my last spare set, but I do have some aftermarket ones you can have free of charge which are not of the same quality with the big spring clip or the lip seal.
Let us know if desperate?
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 07:17:27 am »

Thanks ,that is very generous of you GP. Smiley Hopefully I will not be needing them.
My local peugeot dealer had one.. ONE! in stock... which left me having to find the last seven!!
But I have been in contact with Carjoy, and they claim to have valve stem seals "the good ones" in stock so I have ordered a set from them.
But looking at your pictures, it appears to me that even some of the after market seals have some sort of spring/clip at the top to secure a good fit around the valve stem. The ones that I was send from Simon doesn't have that.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:20:24 am by krede » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: