| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace Mk3 Steering Rack  (Read 4545 times)
ajones

« on: June 07, 2015, 09:46:32 pm »

Having clocked up 180,000 Miles in my Mk3  JE0E Grand Espace I can't complain about its reliability. An intermittent knock in the OS front suspension is getting worse, and I'm pretty sure I've traced this to play in the steering rack end bush (there is a bit of play in the inner trackrod ball joint too) The rack can move, slightly, up and down in its casing - making a clunking sound.
I can see some recon racks on Ebay- problem I've got it that the Renault manual I have suggests that the front engine support subframe, which the rack is bolted to, needs to be removed, or at least loosened, to do this job, and it's mounting bolts are very rusty- with little access to the nuts they screw into. Has anyone done this job without shifting that subframe? I changed the steering column a few years ago- so I know access is tight, but possible to get the rack heatsheild and UJ off.
Have any members of the forum ever removed a steering rack from a Mk 3 RHD Espace?   
renaultsan

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:38:59 pm »

Having clocked up 180,000 Miles in my Mk3  JE0E Grand Espace I can't complain about its reliability. An intermittent knock in the OS front suspension is getting worse, and I'm pretty sure I've traced this to play in the steering rack end bush (there is a bit of play in the inner trackrod ball joint too) The rack can move, slightly, up and down in its casing - making a clunking sound.

Could it just be wear on the inboard track rod end,  the bit that connects with the rack , might be worth check as I believe that part is available on e-bay and much less work

Renault Alpine GTA D500
Renault 25 V6 Automatic
Renault 25 TXI Multivalve
1990 Renault Espace
1974 Renault 15 TL 1300
1978 Renault 15 GTL 1300
Renault 25 GTX 2,2
Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Vans (2)
BrianM

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:23:08 pm »

Yes the bolts get rusty, you need to remove the encapsulating device that is only good for when they built them. Use plenty of penetrating oil, small wire brush & a ring spanner on the nut. Work the bolt back & forth to remove any rust on the thread. The thread/bolt is tapered so this helps as you get to the end of it. It can be done!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: