| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My 1.6 Engine won't idle  (Read 5751 times)
Rayburn

« on: July 26, 2015, 01:20:14 pm »

Hello everyone
I am new to Murena ownership and this forum. I need help with what I think is a common problem.

I have just started to rescue a 1.6 that has been off the road for many years and was not started for about 5 years.

I am keen to confirm the engine is ok before I invest too much time on everything else. It starts easily, runs and sounds good above 2500rpm but won't idle at all without the choke - it just dies. This problem has been covered a few times on the forum and it usually turns out to be a vacuum leak. However I have blanked off all 3 vacuum connections with no improvement. I  have also checked/replaced the following:
New distributor cap and rotor arm (and the leads are connected in the right order)
Ignition timing is good
Set valve clearances and compression is (now) between 173 and 180 psi across all cylinders
Carburetor needs a clean and the accelerator pump leaks a bit but all jets and passages are clear

The carburetor definitely needs a rebuild  but it is getting fuel and the idle circuit seems clear. It feels like it should just work - what am I missing?
JL

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 01:49:39 pm »

I am pretty certain you will have old fuel laquer gumming up the slow running jet, to give you a clue slightly unseat/unscrew the jet and it will idle to a degree. the jet orifice will need cleaning carefully.

Regards
John
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:07:34 pm »

Is that the non-runner that was advertised recently?  Welcome to Murena ownership.  The problem, as  JL said, is almost certainly bunged up idle jets.  Try giving them a good soak in cellulose thinners or carb cleaner.  Although conventional wisdom says that you shouldn't clean jets with wire, you can use strands from a copper-cored cable as the copper is softer than the brass of the jets and won't damage them.
variator

-83 Matra Murena 2.2

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »

Sounds like idling nozzle ..... by the way, has 1.6 engine electrical idle nozzle?

2001 Saab 9-5 2,3T, 1981 Porsche 928, 1981 Honda cb 900 F, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R, 1986 Yamaha RD 350 YPVS
Rayburn

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 07:51:11 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies and the advice.

I slackened off the idle jets as suggested and it now idles with no choke at all (not well but it does run) - so good call John.

The jets are now soaking in carb cleaner but they looked clear when they came out.

I guess I need to stop messing about and clean and service the carb properly.

Yes it is the gold car that was on matra-club.net. I don't know whether I am brave or stupid!
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:02:33 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies and the advice.

I don't know whether I am brave or stupid!
You are neither, the cars are quite simple and easy to work on mechanically, parts are available and there is plenty of advice on line and from the Matra Enthusiasts' Club.  If all it needs is a good clean-up and re-commissioning then you've got a bargain.  We've got a maintenance meeting in the Midlands in October when there should be some Murena 1.6s to look at and owners to chat to and share experiences, why not come along?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: