| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Refurbishing Front brake back plates  (Read 5383 times)
Gib

« on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:32 am »

As per the photo below I am doing some work on the front suspension ( actually all four corners are stripped). Has any one removed and more importantly successfully reinstalled the brake disc backing plates? I can see the embossed retaining points and can see no correct way of removing them apart from brute force which means when then need to go back on again I may be in trouble. I can coat the whole hub assembly as a unit but blasting between the plate and the hub is not that easy and when coated its not coming apart full stop. As a side point I can't see any reason that it would need to come apart ? Anybody been here before?

GP

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:43:17 am »

I have prised them off in the past by pushing a thin blade underneath and loosening the crimped area but it made a bit of a mess. I personally would just leave them on and paint the lot as one unit.
murramor

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »

I have de-rusted mine by soaking the whole assembly in a caustic soda solution and passing an electric current through them.  I concluded that I couldn't remove the backing plates and also believe that the paint I have applied will last long enough for my purposes.
regards
Ron
Sydney

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
Gib

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:42:44 pm »

I have just stripped the 2nd hub and there is no way they are going to come of with out a fight and then there is no chance of getting them back on. SO they will be coated in place, the second lower ball joint didn't want to play also.

@ GP nice reg plate, this is one on my other toys back in its prime before I took it apart and then hide it in the corner of the garage!
Gib

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »

Well I didn't split them and they have not turned out too bad.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:03:48 am »

Sometimes this things are in a very bad state.

I cutted it and then you can remove it more easy.

I took a spare one and welded a little plate on the cutted strip.

end result.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: