| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1988 mK1 pH2 Screen washer puzzle  (Read 5803 times)
halftone

« on: November 20, 2015, 09:13:24 pm »

First of all hello. I have owned this Espace - a 1988 TX2000 -  since 1991, and it is one of very few now still in use on UK roads. At 112k it just keeps on passing MOT's, with no rust and no paint. Uses no oil, starts immediately even after a month of no use.  These cars have a terrible reputation but mine has been epically reliable.

Still, it's currently having a few of its periodic electrical  petit mal. The main issue is that the windscreen washers stopped working a couple of weeks ago. Although the pump was OK, it was on its last legs so I replaced it and the rear wiper pump too. I also substituted a new wiper/washer relay, checked the switch etc. I have 12v at the relay output to the washers when the switch is operated (good) and earth is fine at the pumps (12v direct from the battery and they work) but no actual volts are crawling down the wire from relay to pump (bad) This is a pale gray wire with a near invisible splash of yellow. According to Haynes appalling wiring diagrams it passes through a connector block, R11. Which is the next thing to check, for a bad contact, if only I can find it.

Is R11 the larger of the two small terminal blocks behind the coil? Or is it hidden somewhere else? Several gray wires pass into this block, but none seem to have the near invisible yellow.

The pump loom dives off behind the washer bottle and I can't see where it goes. If anyone knows where R11 is, please give me a clue.

Probably unrelated, the fuel gauge has just begun acting oddly. It sits at (say) quarter-full most of the time, then for no good reason sometimes drifts down almost to empty before recovering itself.  This is very odd, since it does it with the engine running, a good constant 14.3v across the battery, and no other ancillaries.
renaultsan

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 05:52:12 pm »

Nice to know you have an old one running, not many about anymore. Ours is a 1990 2.0 with 152000 on the clock and is the only one in America and is the every day driver of She Who Must Be Obeyed.
As to your problem, somewhere I have the Genuine Renault wiring diagram bookm I will see if I can find it and maybe I could e-mail the bits you need.

Renault Alpine GTA D500
Renault 25 V6 Automatic
Renault 25 TXI Multivalve
1990 Renault Espace
1974 Renault 15 TL 1300
1978 Renault 15 GTL 1300
Renault 25 GTX 2,2
Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Vans (2)
halftone

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:13:03 pm »

Thanks. That may be very helpful. The only one in the US! Surely Jay Leno should have that Smiley

Things are complicated on this car by a Renault PLIP alarm, wired in shortly after I bought the car in 1991 by Renault themselves - and completely useless from day #1. It was replaced under warranty twice, then when it failed again I turned it off and forgot about it. But the loom connections (badly) made by the Renault techs complicate things. I've just spent another hour outside unsuccessfully trying to get to the bottom of why the washers aren't working and it's freezing...

halftone

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »

I've given up for now and simply bypassed the wire and mystery R11 connector, with another wire from relay to pump. It works.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:46:36 pm »

First of all hello. I have owned this Espace - a 1988 TX2000 -  since 1991, and it is one of very few now still in use on UK roads. At 112k it just keeps on passing MOT's, with no rust and no paint. Uses no oil, starts immediately even after a month of no use.  These cars have a terrible reputation but mine has been epically reliable.

Still, it's currently having a few of its periodic electrical  petit mal. The main issue is that the windscreen washers stopped working a couple of weeks ago. Although the pump was OK, it was on its last legs so I replaced it and the rear wiper pump too. I also substituted a new wiper/washer relay, checked the switch etc. I have 12v at the relay output to the washers when the switch is operated (good) and earth is fine at the pumps (12v direct from the battery and they work) but no actual volts are crawling down the wire from relay to pump (bad) This is a pale gray wire with a near invisible splash of yellow. According to Haynes appalling wiring diagrams it passes through a connector block, R11. Which is the next thing to check, for a bad contact, if only I can find it.

Hello,

Great to hear another Series 1 Espace is still on the road.  Sorry I haven't been on here in a while so I have only just seen your posting.  I run a 1990 Quadra Espace and use it all the time.  Mine is now well over 300,000 kms so you have a lot to catch up with me! Smiley

You should forget the Haynes manual altogether really as it is hopeless when it comes to the Espace, especially those wiring diagrams.  The problem is they copied the original diagrams from before the Espace was released (1984) and never updated them.  Renault had already updated them by the time it was actually released!!  I have much better info. since I worked for Renault UK as an RTE and have the updates that the dealer workshops used to get.

The most common failing with the windscreen washers was poor contacts in the column switch, and you either need to replace it or strip and repair it, but with the latter you need to be careful as it can be quite complex and fiddly.

If the relay is being switched on, and the power is coming out to go to the pump but not getting to the pump, then you have to trace the wiring and repair it or simply replace with a new wire, but if you replace it, make sure the old wire is cut out of the system altogether because if it was shorting to earth for instance or another circuit, you don't want to leave it in circuit at all.

As I am one of the original members of the Matra Enthusiasts Club UK and we support the Matra built Espace, you should consider joining the club.  We have a number of Espace owners and I write articles on them from time to time.  Alternatively you should join the Renault owners club who also support the early Espace as it is now considered one of their heritage vehicles.  Either will provide help at times when you need it.

Roy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:53:08 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: