| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Painting inner tub and wheel arch liners  (Read 5363 times)
TimS

« on: March 21, 2016, 12:05:33 pm »

Just about to start stripping the car down to replace the coolant pipes underneath, so removing the front inner tub and possibly the wheel arch covers.

I'd like to paint them as they are pretty worn, and was considering doing them simply with black Matt paint. Will this stick or do they need spraying some type of fibreglass primer, and of course after being degreased?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:11:27 pm by TimS » Logged
murramor

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:33:53 pm »

I am planning to use a satin black paint from Rustoleum which claims to be for plastic and similar surfaces.  It has withstood the elements on some outdoor chairs that my wife painted a few years ago.
regards
Ron
Sydney

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
Gib

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:48:21 am »

Must be that time of year as I stripped out the front tub to do my water pipes on Sunday as well!
I am thinking of using trailer bed liner spray or paint, its like under seal but has harder particles of rubber in it. There are plenty of types available but I do know some one who has used this and it looked good and was easy to apply.

http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-bedliner-quart-946ml-black-truck-bed-coating.html
TimS

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:51:23 pm »

Sure this tub is meant to come out more easily!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:50:13 am by TimS » Logged
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 09:50:35 pm »

Sure this tub is meant to come out more easily!
The spedometer cable runs through a hole by the left suspension. I cut a piece out towards the edge to allow the tub to be moved forward and free. If you don't you will have to dismount the cable at the wheel. Not easy.
Before re-installing the tub I installed pop-nuts in all the fastening holes in the chassis. Fastening the tub with screws makes it easy to remove if ever needed again.
I made a post about it when I installed stainless cooling pipes.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
TimS

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:51:33 am »

Thanks Jon, I'd had a look at your post and thought that it is a good idea.

I'm also reinforcing part of the tub whith fibreglass where it has been previously cracked.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: