| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1993 Espace upper suspension arm.  (Read 9628 times)
Tim Hamnett

« on: April 21, 2016, 11:37:33 am »

Hi all.
Having repaired the steering rack and numerous other little jobs for the Mot it has now failed its retest on other items.
Most troublesome is corrosion to the nearside upper arm.
I fitted a new driveshaft and balljoints ( not an MOT issue) and in the process cleaned up and rust treated the arm. this exposed the fact that it has quite a lot of corrosion and a small hole all the way through one side. Its particularly annoying as it didn't come up as a problem first time round but is probably a valid issue to fail a test.
I've got 10 days to fix it before I have to pay for another test and all that it might bring up.
The part doesn't seem to be available from all the web searches I've done and the advice was that welding of suspension components was frowned upon for MOTs.
Any help locating one would be seriously appreciated.
Espace Atlantic

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 12:33:58 pm »

If you happen to come across the more common Espace model III (from '97), then have a look/take photos to see if the suspension arm on that model is identical to the Espace II.   I've replaced several items on my J63 from parts on the later model III.

96 Espace 2.0 'Atlantic'
07 Espace 2.0DCI 'Privilege'
Espace Atlantic

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:01:33 pm »

Hello again,
I looked at the J63 and JE parts on eurocarparts.com and it doesn't seem that the suspension arms are alike - but here, if you haven't found anything yet, is a parts dealer in France who seems to have what you were looking for:

http://www.npa50.fr/contents/fr/d72_Train_Avant_Arriere_espace_2.html

96 Espace 2.0 'Atlantic'
07 Espace 2.0DCI 'Privilege'
Tim Hamnett

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 01:10:56 pm »

Thanks for that, but they're out of stock and 100 euros a pop secondhand a bit pricey. It looks like they're another hens teeth item for this car.
I got one delivered this morning from motorhog and despite me telling them not to bother unless it was good condition it is almost as bad as the one I'm taking off. Its made up of two parts and corrosion sets in between the two and forces them apart.
They offered a refund if I returned it for inspection, but I don't trust them now and I'd still have to pay postage and spend more hours of my life searching for another and pay for another test. A lose / lose situation realy.
So as its here, and not attached to a vehicle, it looks like I'm spending the day refurbishing this one. I reckon there is just enough metal to force apart, clean out the rust inbetween and treat, and close up and make presentable.
I realy am begining to dislike this car!!!!! Sad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:05:27 pm by Tim Hamnett » Logged
renaultsan

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:47:06 pm »

Hi Tim . don't give up on it. I had to make repairs to the lower rear arms on my Renault Alpine GTA which turned out nicely.
Can you send a picture of  arm you are dealing with and show the area of concern There is a wau of doing the job but be very careful in tryingbto pry the two layers apart as you could end up doing more damage. Send a picture or two and I might be able to give you some tips on the best way of fixing your problem.

Terry

Renault Alpine GTA D500
Renault 25 V6 Automatic
Renault 25 TXI Multivalve
1990 Renault Espace
1974 Renault 15 TL 1300
1978 Renault 15 GTL 1300
Renault 25 GTX 2,2
Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Vans (2)
Tim Hamnett

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:01:08 pm »

Cheers Terry, I'll try and put some up later. I have however begun!!
If I was to approach this job properly, I would drill out the spots, blast the main body of it, cut a pattern for the inner and reweld.
Looking at the inner part where it is still full thickness its pretty flimsy steel and probably just added by Renault as a corrosion accelerater. Wink
renaultsan

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »

Cheers Terry, I'll try and put some up later. I have however begun!!
If I was to approach this job properly, I would drill out the spots, blast the main body of it, cut a pattern for the inner and reweld.
Looking at the inner part where it is still full thickness its pretty flimsy steel and probably just added by Renault as a corrosion accelerater. Wink

Tim- your approach to the problem is the right way to go.

Renault Alpine GTA D500
Renault 25 V6 Automatic
Renault 25 TXI Multivalve
1990 Renault Espace
1974 Renault 15 TL 1300
1978 Renault 15 GTL 1300
Renault 25 GTX 2,2
Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Vans (2)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 01:25:39 pm »

Hi all.
Having repaired the steering rack and numerous other little jobs for the Mot it has now failed its retest on other items.
Most troublesome is corrosion to the nearside upper arm.

The first M.o.T. really should have picked these up, even if only as an advisory because this is a common failure on the Espace 1 and 2 and they really should be checking them.

I fitted a new driveshaft and balljoints ( not an MOT issue) and in the process cleaned up and rust treated the arm. this exposed the fact that it has quite a lot of corrosion and a small hole all the way through one side. Its particularly annoying as it didn't come up as a problem first time round but is probably a valid issue to fail a test.

It is a definite failure item and I have had this problem with two of my Espace.  One I repaired with good arms off another vehicle that was being stripped to be scrapped, and on the other car (the one I have now) I bought two new arms from Renault - this was 5 years ago now and I considered it worth the extra cost to have new arms which I could protect from new as I knew I would be keeping the car a long time.  As you say a weld repair to suspension parts is not generally acceptable but it does depend on how they are made in the first place.  For instance the Murena trailing arms are made by welding four plates to form a box section for the main arm so welding a new side in place of the original would be little different to the original.

These arms were made with two pressings and the inner one spot welded to the outer, and that is what leads to the failure as they corrode through in holes where the large spot welds are positioned.

I wouldn't bother with second hand generally unless you can examine them beforehand and know they are good, because as a common failure point, most are going the same way.  And buying for poor secondhand ones is a waste and makes it more sensible to pay the extra for new one in the first place, if you can get them.

Like all the parts for these Espace 1 and 2 however, parts are now getting more and more difficult.  Some are after all over 25 years old and no manufacturer tends to support general cars that old.  What I'm saying is that if you find new ones for sale you should consider buying them and 100 Euros for a pair or even each is a price I would pay.

Roy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:37:27 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Tim Hamnett

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:00:51 am »

Renault told me they no longer hold spares for very long for discontinued models, even modern ones and the parts get skipped. I had a ridiculously difficult time just getting a 2 Euro steering rack rubber mount posted from France.
I mostly own VWs and they actually remanufacture parts for some of the older vehicles if there is enough demand.

I need this car roadworthy in a hurry so its been cut, blasted, new bits welded in sealed and hammerited. It looked realy good untill I dropped the freshly painted item into a pile of grit and made a sticky mess.
I cant see George (MOT inspector) not passing it as it looks like new apart from the added grit.
I'll try and post up some pictures of how I did it when I get a chance. do they need to go via photobucket or similar on this forum?
Cheers,
Tim.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: