| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fuel Pump Blanking plate (1.6)  (Read 3621 times)
Gib

« on: May 09, 2016, 02:42:13 pm »

Does any one know of a source for these as I can't be bothered to make one as most of them are ~ £10 delivered.

Is there an of the shelf that will fit with a bit of jiggery pokery?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 04:59:01 pm »

Does any one know of a source for these as I can't be bothered to make one as most of them are ~ £10 delivered.

Is there an of the shelf that will fit with a bit of jiggery pokery?

As you wish to fit a blanking plate, I assume you are fitting an electric fuel pump.

If you are, be very careful as these can be the cause of an engine bay fire on these engines.  If the needle valve in the carb. does not shut the flow off when the bowl is full, the overflow of fuel runs down the angled block to where the starter motor is, and when cranking, the sparks from the brushes ignites the fuel!  I've seen it and experienced it.  I would not recommend electric pumps with these cars.  There is little wrong with the mechanical pumps, but if you are concerned with the float bowl drying out because you don't use the car enough, and it takes longer to start because it has to crank sufficiently to fill the float bowl before the engine can start, that should still not be a problem.

To prove the point I have done some tests with a good Murena.  If the car and engine are correct then it takes just a half to one second to start up with a full float bowl with or without choke depending on temperature, and this should be the case for up to several days without use.  If the car is unused for a week it should take no more than 10 seconds of cranking to fill the carb. and start.  I have not started my own Murena 2.2 since October (I left it off the road over the winter) so that is six months, and the carb. must have surely been dry!  I made sure the battery was charged obviously, and timed it on turning the key, and it took under 15 seconds to top up the carb. and fire up, which is what I expected.

Any charged battery that cannot crank at normal rate for 15 seconds is no longer much good! Smiley

If you still would prefer an electric pump to help your starting then the best way is to fit the electric pump as a supplementary, activated by a push button, which you would then use to top up the carb. first and release.  Then crank the engine as normal to start and for all other use, using the standard mechanical pump.

If your engine does not start within 2 seconds normally (from cold with full choke) or in less than 15 seconds cranking in any condition (even with an empty carburettor initially) then you really have an engine set up problem and you should be looking at that rather than trying to compensate for poor starting using an electric pump!

Roy
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:52:28 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: