| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Front Anti Roll Bar Captive nuts  (Read 5117 times)
Gib

« on: September 12, 2016, 09:06:07 am »

So on the one side of the car the 2 Bolts that retain the ARB came out cleanly with no issue on the other side no luck. The bolts came out half way then started to bind I took it easy and used spray lube and ran the bolts up and down but I think the repeat up and down was just the ticket to snap the welds, now both are free. I can see that there is a retaining plate these are mounted to that clips into chassis leg but cant quite get or see what is going on and don't fancy damaging both sides just to understand.
Does any one have any experience ?

The plan at the moment is to cut the bolt shanks as close to the captive nut as possible and then try and jiggle the retaining plate and then the Nut / Bolt out and then go from there.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 04:11:51 pm »

ARB Huh
Picture?

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Gib

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »

Anti
Roll
Bar

Bolts circled.

Gib

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:19:23 am »

So to help any one in the future.
There are small tangs as shown below with a square nut held captive which provides the location for the bolts.
The missing nut is in red, as everything rusts the nuts just break away.

The way I sorted this was to cut the shank of the bolt as close to the frame as possible then pull the tang out.

I then made 4 L brackets as below which can be held in place whilst the bolts are fixed.
The L brackets are a simple 12mm * 6mm Bar , cut and drilled. A SS nut was then welded on the end then through tapped. The Bracket was then bent to shape and powder coated.
YES I do need to clean the underside.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »

Good solution.
I never needed to to do it because I always couldt get the bolts out without to much force.
Sometimes I needed to heat is up a bit and use some shockspray.
I had the problem on the bolts that hold the dash but could repair it with alloy rivnuts.
That could not be done on the stabilizer because rivnuts can't stand the force there.

Herman

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: