| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gearleaver  (Read 6958 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: November 21, 2006, 09:52:37 pm »

As i was crawling around under my murena, I also took some time to ajust the front gear rod to try to improve the space for my right leg.
After a little messing around, Im glad to say that the clearance to my knee actually has improved noticeably... in fact so much so that i will probably drop my plans of moving the entire assembly.. or atleast try a few other things first.
First Off I will fabricate a "custom" gearnob in an invertef "L" shape. with the tip pointing towards the right... this will move my hand a good few cm to the right, and if done right can be made to look pretty cool.
I might also shorten the nob a bit as this would make 2'nd gear easier to reach under my thigh.
Second I will try to heat up and bend the leaver... now... for this I would like to get a spare for my first attempt!.. so... can anybody tell me if an identical leaver can be found in another Talbot ?
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:41:03 pm »

Glad to hear you already improved your leg-space.

I think bending the lever a *little* will be a good solution - even if it will change the loading somewhat. There should still be ample control over the gearshifting. However, I can easily envision problems, if you offset the nob too much.  But half an  inch is probably all you need.

Looking at page "F 41 01" and "F41 02" on the parts manual, I think the "02" version  was actually bent slightly backwards from factory ? This looks like the version I have in my car, except somebody has cut mine short.   

(The 02 version ends in a fork under the car, which connects to the longitudinal rod, which then is flat with a hole  for the bolt. The 01 version has the "push-to-reverse" blocking, and the longitudinal rod is the part with the fork.)

Are you planning to remove the lever from the car, before heating/bending ? - otherwise be careful not to damage the spherical mounting, which exists in several versions - some have push-to-select reverse, others haven't, - but the parts are fragile, and I wouldn't want to damage them. I seem to recall there is even a nylon-bush involved. (or has my memory gone? :-)  )

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:40:26 am »

Are you planning to remove the lever from the car, before heating/bending ?
No.. my plan was to soak the carpet in fuel for a few hours let the cabin fill with fumes.. and then get right down to it....*satire*  Grin

I is my intend to remove the leaver and take it a long way from my car before applying any heat to it..
But if the excat same leaver is used in any other cars, Ill just go out and get one of those to modify instead.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 01:43:43 pm »

Are you planning to remove the lever from the car, before heating/bending ?
No.. my plan was to soak the carpet in fuel for a few hours let the cabin fill with fumes.. and then get right down to it....*satire*  Grin
You guys have a strange humor! Grin

I is my intend to remove the leaver and take it a long way from my car before applying any heat to it..
But if the excat same leaver is used in any other cars, Ill just go out and get one of those to modify instead.

I'm pretty certain that you wont be able to find this exact type of lever elsewhere as what car in the talbot family would have such a short stick? No, I think this was a particular item for the Murena!

It shouldn't be too big a problem to get it out and bend it, but I understand your precaution - this is not an item you'd want to break.

There's another option, however, which is to bend the long rod under the car slightly to the left. This would require less bend thus less chance of breaking anything?

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: