| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poor alternator charging 2.2 Petrol Espace 1992  (Read 6654 times)
tonygreen

« on: November 26, 2006, 01:48:41 pm »

Hi,

I need help.  My charging system  is not working correctly.
I replaced the battery when it first went flat. But the new battery also went flat after a week.

So I checked the alternator.
With no electrical load, and engine at approx 2500rpm the voltage from the alternator is 13.8V.
With lights,fans,radio,window heater etc on, the voltage from the alternator is only 12.7- with engine speed approx 3500rpm. The book says I should egt 13.8V .I took these measurements directly from the alternator.

The alternator was re conditioned 4 months ago after the charge light came on. Everything worked fine until now.

There are three wires coming fron the alternator. The main red one which gives the charge and a yellow and a white together on a connector.
Do these yellow and white wires go to the Voltage regulator. Where is the voltage regulator?
Any help appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Tony
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:05:04 am »

Hi Tony

The regulator sits on the alternator. The yellow and white wires are going to charge lamp and revcounter (on the diesel) AFAIR.

I think you should take the alternator back to the guy that reconditioned it as it seems the job wasn't done well enough Wink

Good luck!

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
tonygreen

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 08:48:20 pm »

Hi Anders,

I took the car back to the garage that reconditioned the alternator and proved to the mechanic that I was not getting 13V charging on high revs and with lights,window heaters etc on. He agreed it was the alternator and fixed it free of charge.
Turned out it was a broken soldered joint.
Cars running fine now.

Thanks for your  advice.

Happy New Year

Tony

Hi Tony

The regulator sits on the alternator. The yellow and white wires are going to charge lamp and revcounter (on the diesel) AFAIR.

I think you should take the alternator back to the guy that reconditioned it as it seems the job wasn't done well enough Wink

Good luck!

- Anders
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 12:13:19 pm »

Good to hear! And thank you for sharing your experiences... It is sometimes seen with new electric parts that they fail just after installation. This can generally be said to be due to insufficient manufacturing testing, which is a point where every manufacturer will try to save money - as extensive testing will be quite resource demanding. Unfortunately it means that there's a chance that parts will fail quickly, so we probably just have to live with it, I think.

Best wishes for 2007

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: