| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2.2 Alloy rocker cover  (Read 26528 times)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« on: October 27, 2017, 04:44:35 pm »

Hello all,

As some of you will know, a few of us have had some brand new camshafts made by Piper, for the 2.2-litre engine.  Colin has had his engine up and running for a few months and it both goes well and sounds really good.  You may also know that he had a problem recently but since no other fault could be found, that appears to have been a faulty head gasket, and it has been replaced and the engine is running again.

I am in the process of building the second and assisting with the third of the engines that will have one of these Piper special cams.  For myself I have always wanted the engine to look a little more special and one obvious thing was to have an alloy cam cover in place of the modified Tagora tin plate cover.  I did not particularly like the look of the Politecnic one and it is not available now anyway.  However, I finally have an alloy cover which as I think you will agree from the photo looks good.

This was the last one from their stock, but they tell me they can get some more cast if there is sufficient demand.  They would require at least five and the run would be done early 2018 if I could give them the orders and deposits.  If we get orders for 5, then the cost would be 295 Euros each plus carriage cost (approx. 18 Euro - that was the cost for mine).  If the numbers could be as high as 10 then the price would be reduced accordingly.

So the question is: do any of you 2.2 Murena owners wish to have one of these ribbed alloy covers for your engine?

Please let me know, preferably by my domain name email as I don't get on the forum regularly, but you can message me here if you wish.  By all means let me know what you think of the cover even if you don't wish to buy one.  I know the lettering is 'Talbot Maurelec' and does not include Matra, but these were made by Maurelec when they were preparing these Simca racing engines with JRD and some years before the Murena was made and had one of these engines fitted.  I have placed a Matra Sport badge on the oil filler cap on mine.  And I consider having 'Maurelec' on the cover makes it a bit special anyway, being a little rare just like the cars!

Roy
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:46:48 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:07:18 pm »

Looks nice Roy. If I wasn't selling mine I would defenitely get one.
Just one comment. Couldn't they write MATRA and MURENA instead of TALBOT etc. on top?
What about the ventpipe on the original? How is that handled?
Regards. Jon.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 05:34:04 pm »

Looks nice Roy. If I wasn't selling mine I would defenitely get one.
Just one comment. Couldn't they write MATRA and MURENA instead of TALBOT etc. on top?
What about the ventpipe on the original? How is that handled?
Regards. Jon.

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your comments.  As I explained in the posting, the castings were made long before Matra came into this.  The cover was made originally for this engine when it was a racing version of the Simca 180/2-litre and if we now wish to change the lettering, that would mean altering or making new casts, which would increase the costs.  At this time I wish to see just how much genuine interest there may be at this price point.  If we had at least five people seriously interested and ready to pay the current price, then I would go back to Marcel and ask what would be the price if we wished to have some different lettering on the cover; but for now they would be using the existing casts which keeps the costs down.

However, the word 'Talbot', it is in fact correct anyway.  The engine was made by Simca which in 1979 was renamed Talbot, and the Murena was sold as a Talbot-Matra Murena, and Talbot is therefore authentic.  A similar thing happened in the seventies with some Bagheera owners removing the Simca part of the name, but now as a rare car originality counts, and owners have been going back to having Matra-Simca on their Bagheera.

We should be proud of what Simca and Talbot allowed Matra to achieve.  If not for them, we would not have had the fabulous and still unmatched Murena!

With regard to the crankcase ventilation, I knew this one would need modifying as it does not have any at this time, (it wasn't intended for a road car engine) but it will be easy for me to do the modification myself.  If we have some more made the cost stated would include a vent hose connection.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:39:22 am by roy4matra » Logged

GP

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »

For those out there who have never actually seen one, here is a picture of the unavailable Alloy Politechnic Rocker Cover made for the Puegeot 505 Turbo, which handily fitted the 2.2 Murena.  Also showing a vent fitting inserted.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:52:58 am »

Hello all,

... This was the last one from their stock, but they tell me they can get some more cast if there is sufficient demand.  They would require at least five and the run would be done early 2018 if I could give them the orders and deposits.  If we get orders for 5, then the cost would be 295 Euros each plus carriage cost (approx. 18 Euro - that was the cost for mine).  If the numbers could be as high as 10 then the price would be reduced accordingly.

So the question is: do any of you 2.2 Murena owners wish to have one of these ribbed alloy covers for your engine?

Please let me know, preferably by my domain name email as I don't get on the forum regularly, but you can message me here if you wish.

Roy

Happy New Year to all you Matra fans.

I posted this a couple of months ago and I've had a few comments/requests so far, and the number who would be prepared to pay for one of these alloy cam covers is three.  Just two more and I could give them an order for five and they would go ahead.  Please note, the new ones will have a crankcase vent included for the 295 Euro price.

So, are there a couple of others out there that would like to improve the looks of their Murena 2.2 engines?

Roy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:59:15 am by roy4matra » Logged

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 12:57:49 pm »

Hello all,

Happy New Year to all Matra enthusiasts.

I thought I would update you on the alloy cam cover for the 2.2 engine.  I received them last year, as did a couple of Murena owners in Germany, and all have been distributed to the particular purchasers.  I have sold one spare one since, and there is one more available here if anyone else fancies one.

I believe Maurelec also kept a spare one themselves, so if you are in France and you want one, you should check with them. http://www.maurelec.fr/catalog/index.php

A reminder that I now have a technical articles section on my website from where you can download various files or request an accurate wiring diagram.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: