| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena market price !  (Read 16368 times)
Johan Edström

« on: April 01, 2018, 01:44:29 pm »

Hi,

I posted a WTB add for a Murena 2,2 some time ago on this forum, but have not bought any car yet. I have though been offered a interesting 2,2 Murena 1982, with only around 30000 km, totally original but has not been on the road since 1984. The owner has started the car, and driven it short distances on a regular basis. It is Hudson green, with brown velour interior😀

Question is, how does one value such a car ? The owner ( i think ) is looking to get around 10,000€ for it. Is that a fair price for such a car ? Im asking you people here on this forum, since i think this is the place to get the best, and most honest answers. Im aware that it is going to take time and that im going to spend more money on it just to get it on the road again.
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:34:35 am »

You have not got much response on your question.

Personally I find the price of 10.000 Euro in the high end for a car that has not been on the road for almost 35 years (you might have to change gaskets, hoses etc.), however on the plus side is the very low mileage.
However try to check on Mobile.de or ebay-kleinansige.de what is on the marked and at what price.
Regards Hans
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:40:48 pm »

Hi,

I posted a WTB add for a Murena 2,2 some time ago on this forum, but have not bought any car yet. I have though been offered a interesting 2,2 Murena 1982, with only around 30000 km, totally original but has not been on the road since 1984. The owner has started the car, and driven it short distances on a regular basis. It is Hudson green, with brown velour interior😀

Question is, how does one value such a car ? The owner ( i think ) is looking to get around 10,000€ for it. Is that a fair price for such a car ? Im asking you people here on this forum, since i think this is the place to get the best, and most honest answers. Im aware that it is going to take time and that im going to spend more money on it just to get it on the road again.

I realise this posting is a little old now, and you may have already made your decision, whether to buy or not.  However, partly for others in a similar situation at any time, one of the first questions to ask is how has this car been stored?  If the car has been used for the same mileage every year from new, then to have around 30,000 kms in 36 years it means an average annual mileage of approx. 800 kms, or just 16 kms per week!!  The likelihood is that the amount the car has been driven will have hardly got it warm enough to dry things properly, and the amount of time on choke whilst cold, relative to the time without choke once warmed will be high.  Why does this matter?  Well the additional (rich) fuel on choke has a washing action on the oiled surfaces, for one thing, and that can accelerate wear.  The other thing is how the car was cleaned and stored.  If it was used a little but often, it would get dirty and need cleaning from time to time.  If it was stored inside, then was it dried first or left wet?  All these can affect various parts of the car.  If it spent long periods inactive and did the occasional longer journey, that might help except that this can also cause different problems with other items.  Any long periods of inactivity should be planned and the car properly 'taken off road' and stored as such.  There are many things that should be done to protect a car for long inactivity, such as having it on stands and not left on its wheels where tyres and bearings left in one position will suffer, as one simple example.  Bare metal parts that are exposed to moist air and therefore corrosion, such as brake discs, various engine and gearbox internal parts, etc. require covering.

The biggest advantage is the chassis will be 'tighter' having not been flexed as much through normal road usage, so it will still feel like a new car, and things like seats and carpets should still be in very good condition.  If it has not spent long in the sun the paint work should still be good and almost like new.  Similarly all the trim should also be in excellent condition.

However, to give you an example of what can happen, I bought my car new and used it all the time like a normal car and obviously did various repairs as well as servicing over the years to keep it in top condition.  I then bought a second Murena which had only done around 50,000 kms from new, looked excellent and felt really nice to drive, but...  during my first year of ownership I ended up having to do most of the same repairs as I'd done over the years to my regularly used higher mileage car!

It appeared many items failed on time not just mileage, and thus needed to be rectified even though it had done less than half my original car's mileage.  I have said this many times, but I will say it again - cars remain in better condition mechanically and electrically when used regularly compared to those left unused.  I know this from long experience.  The main items that generally do not suffer are bodywork and trim if the car is inside and protected.

So buying a car like this with exceptionally low mileage can be a great way to get a lovely example that is still pristine in looks, but don't even think it will not need much work in other areas.  So it will cost more to get it back into a regularly usable state, but as long as you accept this, it should be a lovely example once it is done.

I'm not so sure 10,000 Euros is too high but it would depend on a careful examination to see how original it is, and how much might need re-working before it could be used regularly.

Roy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:02:48 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Johan Edström

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:54:24 pm »

I have not decided about this Murena yet. I have planed to see and inspect the car in a few weeks. The owner passed away not long ago, and that has put everything on halt for a while.
Mattias Henriksson

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 02:12:13 pm »

Johan ,

I assume that it´s the same car that I just resently bought on an auction here in Sweden. I heard that the owner past away and that he had a lot of cars in his collection. Did you know the the old owner and do you have more info about the car?

Mvh Mattias
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: