| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena review on YouTube  (Read 5076 times)
lewisman

« on: October 09, 2018, 11:48:40 pm »

[url]https://youtu.be/4XXnejsD_k8[url]
Came across this one today. A few factual errors but a good review nonetheless.
Colin

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:59:56 pm »

My car!
lewisman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:03:58 pm »

Nice car.
Who did your engine work?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:52:14 pm »

Nice car.
Who did your engine work?

Me, David.  It is the first one completed with our new Piper made brand new cams.  Colin let me have a brief drive recently around some country lanes and it goes and sounds fabulous, I'm pleased to say.  I am building a second at home and have already built Ian's but that car is having a lot of other restoration work so won't be on the road for a little while yet.

Roy

Colin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:07:29 pm »

Yes the combination of Roy's expertise, and perseverance with Piper to get the cam shafts made, has made for a a big improvement, the engine was borderline scrap when I bought the car, people tell me that it now goes even better than an "S"... All I had to do was keep emptying my bank account into it!
lewisman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:07:07 am »

Thanks Colin (and Roy)
I guessed that it might have been Roy's work due to the mention of a Piper cam.
It is about time that I got started on the murena rebuild. The engine had been rebuilt by Sportscast Unlimited to their Prep 142 spec but I have never heard it run. Various reports on how good their work was but at least it has a new head. I also have the single Weber advised by Roy as a better alternative to the Dellorto set up.
Hope to be down a the NEC Classic Cars show on the Sunday for a bit of inspiration.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:46:12 am »

Thanks Colin (and Roy)
I guessed that it might have been Roy's work due to the mention of a Piper cam.
It is about time that I got started on the murena rebuild. The engine had been rebuilt by Sportscast Unlimited to their Prep 142 spec but I have never heard it run. Various reports on how good their work was but at least it has a new head.

If you haven't ever run the engine since it was rebuilt and that was some time ago, then the very first thing you must do is to re-torque the head bolts.  The head will have settled from the original build and I would suspect it will now be less than the original torque.  The last thing you want to do is fire it up and start a head gasket failure.

When you do up the bolts, please email me and let me know how much they rotated to get back to the torque setting.  When you run-in an engine straight after the rebuild, then when you re-torque the head after say 800 kms or a few weeks, they will usually rotate about another half a turn to get the torque back to the correct level.  Since your engine has not run but has had a lot of time to settle, I will be interested to know how that compares.  Thanks.

I also have the single Weber advised by Roy as a better alternative to the Dellorto set up.

If you have a Holbay cam profile or a similar fast road profile, then yes the single down-draught carburettor will still produce the power with better economy.

Hope to be down a the NEC Classic Cars show on the Sunday for a bit of inspiration.

Have a good visit.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:50:55 am by roy4matra » Logged

Franglaisman

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 04:56:32 pm »

My car!

Nice car - I know he's your mate, but the 'presenter' leaves a bit to be desired.  Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: