| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Renault Espace seat fabric  (Read 4629 times)
DMorton

« on: November 25, 2018, 10:27:21 am »

Dear members,
My '87 mk1 Espace is in constant use and the most reliable, driver friendly, enjoyable car I have ever owned. Consequently, the seats are now wearing out and Renault are unable to locate a stock of the original fabric. Karl Churchill, Renault's Customer Relations Consultant wrote a very helpful letter explaining the history of the involvement of Renault at the time and suggests that I approach those in the know via this Matra forum for help in locating and acquiring some original material to reupholster the front seats. I would be very grateful if any readers would let me know if such a stock of material, or even ready-made seat covers exists and who I may contact. With thanks, Derryck.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 07:13:13 pm »

Dear members,
My '87 mk1 Espace is in constant use and the most reliable, driver friendly, enjoyable car I have ever owned. Consequently, the seats are now wearing out and Renault are unable to locate a stock of the original fabric. Karl Churchill, Renault's Customer Relations Consultant wrote a very helpful letter explaining the history of the involvement of Renault at the time and suggests that I approach those in the know via this Matra forum for help in locating and acquiring some original material to reupholster the front seats. I would be very grateful if any readers would let me know if such a stock of material, or even ready-made seat covers exists and who I may contact. With thanks, Derryck.

Hello Derryck, I did email you on the 22nd November, after Lennart had forwarded your email to him, to me.  I asked you a few questions but so far haven't received any reply.  However now I have had the time to check in here, I can see from your photos that you have the original Espace in Stratos Blue (paint code 436) and from the seat style it is the 2000 TSE version.  It has the grey interior trim which the brochure calls grey pattern weave upholstery.  However, no where does any of the Matra literature give any trim material code.

There would appear to have been four possible trim materials on these early Espace - the GTS had either a Grey or Beige pattern cloth depending on body colour, and the TSE had a Grey or Beige pattern weave, again depending on body colour.  (The Meteor Red body colour had the Beige interiors.  All others had the Grey interior)

On checking the Dialogys, there are four Renault part numbers for the trim materials - 6025090958, 6025090961, 6025091438 and 6025090512.  However I can't tell which number relates to which material as they all have another code - 7A0, 7A5, 5T0 and 5T5 respectively.  There is another Renault document (PR101) which might tell us which number or code relates to which material, but unfortunately I don't have that document at this moment.

You would have to go directly to Renault France to try to find if they have any of these materials (by these part numbers) as I'm certain Renault UK would just say they are not available.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:33:27 pm by roy4matra » Logged

DMorton

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:22:57 am »

Good morning Roy,

Sorry to hear that you had been awaiting my reply, only, I had not received an email from you.
I am grateful for your research into the codes for the fabric. I see the first action as needing to associate a code with my sample, so I will send the photograph of seat fabric to Renault with your lists and ask them to apply the relevant figures to the pattern. But Renault have previously replied to me and stated that they were not concerned with the seat fabric at the time as this was subcontracted to Matra who outsourced their supplies with a seat manufacturer. I therefore doubt that Renault will be able (or willing) to look into this request. The other route, then, is to find the seat manufacturer and approach them. I can find no identification marks on my seats, so a bit of investigative work is needed within Matra archives. Can you help here?

With thanks,
Derryck
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: