| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: Getting ready for the road again  (Read 4629 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2019, 06:05:42 pm »

Fantastic work!!! Think you may find that if their was a slight gap after fixing the wings on Matra used what appeared to be fibre glass resin to fill the gaps. The only place this appeared to be present on mine was at the very back where it curves towards the light fitting. Look after that glass, I did have two spares but someone needed them.

Thanks!! The glass is sitting calmly in the passenger seat inside the car Smiley

Thanks for the info about the resin. The glue did not seem flexible at all. I managed to break it using different tools without damaging the wing too much. The cutting wire didn't work well, the glue was just not flexible and thick enough. The wire was cutting into the glass fibre. I found the best tools was a stanley knife to open up where the glue was sitting, and a scraper with a wooden handle which I could pad on with a hammer to cut through the glue.

As can be seen, the glass fibre broke a bit, but it's not as bad as it looks, and the wing needed repair anyway from a dent on the wheel arch.

There's a drain hole under the metal strip where water can escape from the engine room, but moisture tends to collect. As can be seen in the picture, the chassis is not looking too good there.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:21:32 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

'82 Murena 2.2 prep 142
'01 Grand Espace 24v
'08 Smart Fortwo 0,8 cdi
TELBOY

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2019, 07:38:47 pm »

I dug out my left hand spare wing to see it they placed the adhesive in the same place. This is the original from EOW that had damage around the wheel arch. It suddenly dawned on me that I didn't warn you of the possibility of the extra rivets hidden under the glass at the bottom (second photo). Fortunately you didn't have them! EOW had them but Donna didn't!!!!! so they must have been present on the very early cars. You can also see the different types of adhesive they used. One was like a very hard setting resin the other like putty.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2019, 07:02:50 am »

I dug out my left hand spare wing to see it they placed the adhesive in the same place. This is the original from EOW that had damage around the wheel arch. It suddenly dawned on me that I didn't warn you of the possibility of the extra rivets hidden under the glass at the bottom (second photo). Fortunately you didn't have them! EOW had them but Donna didn't!!!!! so they must have been present on the very early cars. You can also see the different types of adhesive they used. One was like a very hard setting resin the other like putty.

The rivets are interesting as the workshop manual does not mention them either. It looks like there's another small difference between the two wings as your earlier one has an indent in front of the window. I noticed a bulge in the chassis which seems to be useful for aligning the window correctly, but the bulge is further forward than the indent, isn't it?

It's clear that the wings are held onto the chassis by the rivets at the front (inside door frame) and back (under rear bumper), and bonded with the strong resin like glue along the top and rear edges. And that's all. The putty doesn't really bond the wing to the chassis, it's probably just there to absorb vibrations.

'82 Murena 2.2 prep 142
'01 Grand Espace 24v
'08 Smart Fortwo 0,8 cdi
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2019, 08:08:38 pm »

Not much progress today, partly because Frederik Moes popped by and we talked instead of working Smiley

But I did some cleaning and rivet removal, and it turned out the chassis directly under the metal strip was severely corroded so I cut out the bad parts with the angle grinder. It dug through like it was butter... I still need to remove some more metal, but this is the greater part. There's a weld job coming up.

Fortunately it doesn't look too difficult to fix as it only requires a straight, rectangular peice of steel - and the rest is good.

This is where moisture escapes the engine room in front of the fuel tank, apparantly a very wet spot.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:19:28 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

'82 Murena 2.2 prep 142
'01 Grand Espace 24v
'08 Smart Fortwo 0,8 cdi
TELBOY

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2019, 10:00:52 pm »

Not too bad. I see your swing arm mounts are nice and solid
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2019, 08:58:54 pm »

Oh, the smell of linseed oil curing... Smiley