| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Getting ready for the road again  (Read 117082 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2019, 06:54:39 pm »

Oh....and thanks! Looking at your photo i realised when i replaced.my drop link rubbers i had the bolt through the other way....douh.

Ah, well that should be an easy fix if you have removed the bolt once. I couldn't when I tried it Smiley

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TELBOY

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2019, 07:47:46 pm »

Did you tourqe tthe bolts or just "do them up?"
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2019, 05:36:59 am »

Did you tourqe tthe bolts or just "do them up?"

I only removed the top nut and the rubbers. So far, I haven't torqued it, only did it until I felt the rubbers were well compressed. Now that you remind me, I'll put it on my todo list to torque all nuts and bolts by the spec in the repair manual, thank you for that Smiley

/Anders

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2019, 09:32:35 am »

The new radiator has arrived, a beautiful peice of aluminium (sorry about the angling of the picture, please blame the photographer (me!)). Also bought new brackets for the coolant pipes. The old rubbers are fine.

Used to own:
TELBOY

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2019, 08:37:38 pm »

This work you're doing is amazing! I spent all day working on mine and only mamaged to fabricate à piece of interior trim and fit it and re align the rear bumper and fix in place!!!
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2019, 10:33:46 pm »

This work you're doing is amazing! I spent all day working on mine and only mamaged to fabricate à piece of interior trim and fit it and re align the rear bumper and fix in place!!!

Interior trim, that sounds like something that can take time... and adjustments too! My work today was tightening a few nuts and thinking about what new hoses I should order... but the important thing is ... enjoying it!  Cool

Used to own:
lewisman

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2019, 05:53:19 pm »

Radiator looks good. Was it custom made?
TELBOY

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2019, 06:17:05 pm »

Interior trim, that sounds like something that can take time... and adjustments too! My work today was tightening a few nuts and thinking about what new hoses I should order... but the important thing is ... enjoying it!  Cool

That is so true no one can imagine the enjoyment I get just pottering about on the car. Dont want to finish it. Already told the misses i am going to get a baggy when this is finisbed. ( IF I  EVER FINISH IT) lol
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2019, 10:08:27 pm »

Radiator looks good. Was it custom made?

It's a beauty, really. It's obviously hand-made, but seems to be a series production item. Simon had it in stock Smiley
https://www.simon-auto-shop.de/epages/Simon-Auto-Anlasser-Lichtmaschinen.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Simon-Auto-Anlasser-Lichtmaschinen/Products/06002B

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:40 pm »

That is so true no one can imagine the enjoyment I get just pottering about on the car. Dont want to finish it. Already told the misses i am going to get a baggy when this is finisbed. ( IF I  EVER FINISH IT) lol

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2019, 05:33:51 am »

Spent last weekend at Le Mans, hence no updates, but I did receive some hoses for the front end which I trial-fitted yesterday.

As Roy has described in his excellent magazine articles, forum posts, and FAQ on Murena cooling, keeping the Murena cooling system leak free is key to good cooling. No leaks means pressure can build and hence no boiling will take place (not even local boiling) in the head.

But boosting the water flow won't harm anyone and I bought a Davies Craig electric water pump years ago wanting to fit it as a booster pump. (I know of at least one Murena running it as the only water pump on the engine.) Now that I'm working on the front, I decided it was time to complete this lilttle project.

It's a simple installation, in principle: The pump is controlled by an adjustable thermostat in the thermostat housing on the engine. A cable runs to the pump sitting in the front of the car, behind the radiator.

Unlike the mechanical pump on the eninge with its straight impeller blades, these electric pumps are not pressure pumps, but designed to provide flow. They therefore needs to be mounted in the connection to the lower inlet to the radiator. As I'm running it only as a booster pump, I've diverted slightly from Davies Craig's advice and fitted the pump on a 90 degree bend about halfway upwards from the lower inlet to the radiator. Two 45 degrees bends connected with a joiner connects the pump to the water pipe running from the engine. Apart from this, nothing original is modified.

While this does mean that there will be a bubble of air to push out of the electric pump before water reaches the raditor during filling of the circuit, once the system is bled through the upper vent from the radiator, the pump will be running in water and boost the flow when the thermostat kicks in.

And this way the pump fits niicely under the battery tub, and noone will be hinted of this very un-original modification, except if they get a glimpse of the blue silicone hoses and decide to get under the car to take a closer look Smiley
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:42:15 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
sc1962

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2019, 03:53:03 pm »

that's an excellent mod Anders and its great lookin at how the cars progressing.Do you know the part no.of the pump Huh Im already looking forward to the next instalment  Cheesy Cheesy
TELBOY

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2019, 06:08:02 pm »

Brilliant.  You are obviously much more qualified than myself so excuse my ignorance.  Does.the flow rate of the pump have to match that of the waterpump?  Would it create a problem if it doesnt.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2019, 11:13:26 pm »

that's an excellent mod Anders and its great lookin at how the cars progressing.Do you know the part no.of the pump Huh Im already looking forward to the next instalment  Cheesy Cheesy

Thanks! Two £'s Huh

The pump is the EWP80 https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/electric-water-pump-only-80-lmin

Brilliant.  You are obviously much more qualified than myself so excuse my ignorance.  Does.the flow rate of the pump have to match that of the waterpump?  Would it create a problem if it doesnt.

I've spent too much time thinking about this, but now that you ask me and I went back to look at my old notes, I realize I've made a serious mistake! Shocked

But... Both pumps allows water to flow relatively freely through them, so the flow rate will be dictated by the strongest pump minus the friction in the system. I will have to adjust the pump controlling electric thermo-switch so that the electric pump does not kick in until the engine thermostat is open - otherwise the electric pump will work against it. The electric pump is in the radiator circuit, whereas the original mechanical is on the engine circulating the coolant through the auxillary circuit including the heater matrix. The drawing here , which I made years ago, shows the principle.

The mistake is that I've fitted the pump the wrong way - it's pushing water into the radiator instead of into the engine...  that will be next installment, I guess! Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:18:51 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2019, 02:11:52 pm »

I've had to give up - temporarily. I need a straight connector for the EWP80 pump to make it fit, as can be seen in the top picture. The hose on the pipe running from the engine can be pushed further in, so with the straight connector, it will fit well under the tub. These connectors are available as accessories from the Davies Craig webshop in Australia... so I'm going to look around to see if there is one closer to here Smiley

The pump connections aren't symmetrical so the connections has to be made differently than my incorrect fitment. However, with a straight connector on the pump, I just need two 45 degree pieces, so it will be simpler. For now, I've fitted a straight peice of silicone hose I had.

I've also fitted the brake booster back, and the cover behind it (repainted). The long screws are because I haven't ground and cleaned the area in front of the windscreen so don't want to rivet it on yet.

I'll be in NYC next week (incl weekend), so don't expect any updates until I'm back and has recovered from the jetlag.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:22:54 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: