| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Relay and fuse board  (Read 6266 times)
matramurena

« on: April 24, 2019, 10:19:36 pm »

So I was sick and tired of having the weirdest gremlins in my car which all seem to come from the fuse and relayboard. The old board just had to go. To keep the original look however I wanted something that would fit under the old cover.

So... I ordered a standard fuse and relaybox and started cutting away until it would fit under the old cover. Eventually I got it to just fit and after wiring it I glued this between the sides of the old housing. The wiring diagram is quite easily made with the old patina in hand but becuase of the wire-thickness limitations on the new box I decided to use a subrail for my 12V supply. This way I can supply all the points with their own wire whilst they are connected at both the subrail as in the box.

The output goes via a connector, but for the circuit of the blower I made a direct thicker connection since there goes a lot of current through this wire.

And then.... time to test! Luckily all went well! I had however a problem with the indicator lights, but that turned out to be a broken wire in the loom and an earth-fault. Nothing to do with the fuseboard.  Wink

Pictures:

New box was a bit too big...

Fitting the box

Old and new.

Fitted, note the subrail for the 12V.

With the cover placed the fuses are not easily accesible, hence the wingnuts to make it easy to remove the coverplate.

Finished! Just have to rearange the wireloom a bit.

I hope this will end the small electrical annoyances I had for ever. Smiley

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
TELBOY

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 08:50:50 pm »

Very nice work.may have to do the same  but might  be beyond my skills
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:05:52 pm by TELBOY » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:08 am »

Very nice work.may have to do the same  but might  be beyond my skills

Whilst this modification looks neat and obviously works, it is a lot of work, and that should not be necessary; plus it is not for those without the skills. It is also unnecessary, as I have pointed out before, to have the relays fitted on top - in fact it is easier to test circuits and things when they are underneath and you can access their terminals just by removing the fuse cover!

It is possible to make the original type board work well and give you more live outputs too if you want them, and it is even possible to improve on the horrible old continental fuses as I have shown in my thread 'Fuse Board Connections' where I have even shown how I have replaced the fuses with the better old English glass fuses.  Here is a photo of my own board.

However, there may be another option soon - Carjoy are trying to have some new boards made with the new blade fuses. Although that means altering the design of the board tracks as the blade fuses are smaller, I hope it should be a straight swap for the original board.

Roy
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:50:19 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Murenanimal

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:30:27 pm »

In the French Forum from Matra-Passion there are already new boards created with more relays, 7 relays to more separate the electrical wiring and they use blade fuses with LED so you can see which fuse is broken. Costs €120,— including the transportcosts for sending  to the buyer. About 30 were made and shipped and the boards can be used for the 1.6 and 2.2 engines.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:12:13 pm by Murenanimal » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 08:14:05 pm »

In the French Forum from Matra-Passion there are already new boards created with more relays, 7 relays to more separate the electrical wiring and they use blade fuses with LED so you can see which fuse is broken. Costs €120,— including the transportcosts for sending  to the buyer. About 30 were made and shipped and the boards can be used for the 1.6 and 2.2 engines.

I saw that. It's a serious project with a microcomputer and LED's for monitoring everything... too far from 80's technology, certainly not original and not to my taste, I must say Smiley

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Murenanimal

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 08:51:59 pm »

The picture of the fuseboard
https://i94.servimg.com/u/f94/18/92/25/52/img_2036.jpg
The big advantage is that the car gets more reliable at a minor cost.
lewisman

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 03:09:09 pm »

Do you have a link to where this is available to buy?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 05:21:12 am »

Do you have a link to where this is available to buy?

They seem to sell them in this thread: http://www.matra-passion.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16361

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
lewisman

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 08:10:15 pm »

Thanks Anders. I am enjoying your refurbishment work.  Smiley
JMI83

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 03:35:53 pm »

Hi gentlemen,
I'm glad to inform you the new generation of fuse board is available: v2.3 (I am the designer of these boards since beginning)
There is 18 fuses and 8 power relay. As in the past each fuse holder is lined with a LED to see if fuse is burnt. (there is no microcrocontroler on this board)
A small documentation in English can be downloaded at http://gate.yls.fr/Milville/Murena/Docs/PFuse/The%20right%20fuse%202.3.pdf (not sure how to insert pictures)
You can buy it on Leboncoin.fr, but it should be difficult for non French people, if interested: just send me an Email at cars@yls.fr
Best regards
JMI
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:44:10 pm by JMI83 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: