| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Le Mans 2019  (Read 8200 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: June 22, 2019, 05:59:02 am »

I spotted a few nice Matras at Le Mans this year, mostly during the largely improvised, but well organized Friday exhibition in Mulsanne corner of various classic cars and supercars. There was even a few Teslas, but I don't know how they fitted in Smiley

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:03:43 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 10:44:56 pm »

I spotted a few nice Matras at Le Mans this year, mostly during the largely improvised, but well organized Friday exhibition in Mulsanne corner of various classic cars and supercars. There was even a few Teslas, but I don't know how they fitted in Smiley

Interesting thing about that white Murena - it appears to have a U.K. registration on it: SUB111G.  However when I checked DVLA that number comes up for a 1969 Triumph 2-litre (could be a Triumph 2000 or Vitesse).  It has not been taxed in the U.K. since 1995 so may have been exported, but what is the registration doing on a Murena?

Roy

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:02:15 pm »

Interesting thing about that white Murena - it appears to have a U.K. registration on it: SUB111G.  However when I checked DVLA that number comes up for a 1969 Triumph 2-litre (could be a Triumph 2000 or Vitesse).  It has not been taxed in the U.K. since 1995 so may have been exported, but what is the registration doing on a Murena?

That's interesting. I have a shot of it from the front and has enlarged it. It could be an old number plate they had lying around and put on for the occasion as it has holes in it. I don't know old English license plates, but it seems the paint forming the letters has some a structure in it and that the license plate itself is painted with some sort of black crackle paint.

I didn't see the owner of the car, by the way.

Used to own:
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 10:42:56 pm »

That's interesting. I have a shot of it from the front and has enlarged it. It could be an old number plate they had lying around and put on for the occasion as it has holes in it. I don't know old English license plates, but it seems the paint forming the letters has some a structure in it and that the license plate itself is painted with some sort of black crackle paint.

I didn't see the owner of the car, by the way.

My guess would be the owner is trying to avoid paying tax, & speeding fines if caught on cameras as the authorities won't easily be able to trace it!  That letter style was available in silver on a black background in a perspex plate (black with silver letters were allowed for a 1969 car) but it looks like it has been painted over with crinkly black and the letters in white.  Odd!

Roy

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 09:20:07 am »

With all the Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras around that's a risky strategy in the UK.  Perhaps he just puts it on in France.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:32 pm »

With all the Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras around that's a risky strategy in the UK.  Perhaps he just puts it on in France.

Or the owner doesn't live in the U.K. so if picked up by cameras on the continent, do they bother to get in touch with other countries?  I know it is often said it is too much trouble here when trying to trace a foreign reg. so it doesn't get chased up.  It seems only the people who play by the rules get done most of the time.  And we end up paying to cover the costs of those that never pay. Sad

We've received so many letters at my block of flats from banks, mobile phone companies, power companies, and debt collecting agencies for huge amounts (many thousands of pounds) for people who've rented and lived in one of the flats for a short time, never paid their bills then left the country and gone back to Europe!  I have another recently arrived with over £3000, just for London traffic offences! (parking and/or wrong lane or speeding caught on camera probably)

It takes time to run up that much of a bill - how come they are never caught?  Since the windscreen tax disc was abolished here, they have lost millions!  So much for it saving money as was predicted!

Roy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:01:07 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 07:36:32 am »

The guy is probably a local in Mulsanne, he might be restoring the car and then he just fitted this set of old UK plates he had lying around to save the trouble of getting his car completely ready for registration or getting some temporary plates... I'm guessing, but they look good on the car, I think Smiley

Roy, I know from my work in taxes there are ways to claim debt from EU citizens, even though they've moved to another country, especially if you're a local authority. It's not as straight forward as one could dream of, but the authroities here have a whole office for international debt collection.

Used to own:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: