| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Main bearings  (Read 6073 times)
René Holm

« on: September 15, 2019, 03:22:22 pm »

Are some of you experienced in replacing main bearings in a 2.2 engine ?

I have bought a set, from simon. Is at standard set (1047a) But mounting against the clutch (number 1)  does not fit. All 5 bearings is the same size. The bearing fits good, at mounting brackets number 2, 3, 4 and 5
The bearing fits good at the crankshaft, so it is the bearing bowl that is too small. If I measure the old bearing, it is 1.6 mm. thickness. The new one is measure 1,9 mm. in thickness.

Is some of you have tried the same ?

regards

René

1983 Matra murena 2,2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:15:04 pm »

Are some of you experienced in replacing main bearings in a 2.2 engine ?

I have bought a set, from simon. Is at standard set (1047a) But mounting against the clutch (number 1)  does not fit. All 5 bearings is the same size. The bearing fits good, at mounting brackets number 2, 3, 4 and 5
The bearing fits good at the crankshaft, so it is the bearing bowl that is too small. If I measure the old bearing, it is 1.6 mm. thickness. The new one is measure 1,9 mm. in thickness.

Is some of you have tried the same ?

regards

René

Hello René, I have built quite a number of these 2.2 engines now as well as many others during my working life in the trade, so I think I can answer this if I understand you fully.  So first I need to clarify what you are saying and understand exactly what your problem is.

You say you bought a standard set of main bearing shells from Simon Auto, and 01047A is certainly the right part number for a set of standard main bearing shells.  That set should contain three plain bearing shells with an oil hole, three plain bearing shells without any oil hole, (these are for positions 1, 3 and 5) then four bearing shells with a groove and an oil hole (for positions 2 & 4).  Five half shells with oil holes go into the block and the three plain shells without oil holes go into the bearing caps 1, 3 & 5.  All ten shells should be the same thickness.

So are you saying that one half shell or maybe two halves are 1.9mm thick but the rest - all other half shells are only 1.6mm thick?  If that is the case then the set of shells is faulty.  You say that 'all 5  bearings are the same size' - are you talking here of the crankshaft bearing pin size?  The bearing shells must all be the same thickness.  Until I can check some of my new shells tomorrow, I can't say for certain what thickness they should be, but around 2mm thick sounds right and 1.6 sounds a bit thin, but I may be wrong and will report back tomorrow.  Also I use English bearing shells not those from Simon Auto, but that should not matter as they should be the same.

However, there is another anomaly in what you say that needs to be cleared first.  You say the shells do not fit at position number 1 (which is next to the flywheel).  How does it not fit exactly?  All bearing shells whether standard or oversize for a reground crank should fit in the block and bearing cap, but if it was an incorrect shell, the crankshaft might not fit in as a standard crankshaft main bearing pin would be too big to fit in an oversize shell.  So are you really saying the bearing shell does actually fit but the crankshaft will then not fit in the bearings?  Or do the shells truly not fit in the block and bearing cap?

Have you checked the back of all bearing shell halves?  They should all be marked with their size, either 'Std' for a standard shell, or +0.2, +0.5 etc. if they were shells for a re-ground crankshaft.  Have they ALL got the 'Std' engraved on them?

A photo of all the bearing shells could be useful here, but only if it is clear enough to read the engraving on the back of the shells.  Line them all up together (five above and five below) and one photo should be enough to see the back of them all.  Also a photo of how it does not fit.

Once I am clear exactly what your problem is I should be able to help with the solution.

Roy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:56:29 am by roy4matra » Logged

René Holm

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 09:35:09 pm »

Hello Roy.

My problem is, that the bearing in position 1, does not fit, in the place. The new one I bought, is 1,9 mm. in thickness, and they are all the same size. In the posisition 2, 3, 4 and 5, fits the new bearings very good.
The old bearing in position 1, massure 1,6 mm, so the new bearing, is to big, so it´s stick up over the edge.  .

I can't get the crankshaft back in place when the new bearing is inserted.
The number of the old bearings is :    

The first one has number:             16012200
                                  The second one has number:         53137480
                                  The third one has number:             53137380
                                  The fourth one has number:           53137480
                                  The fifth one has number:              16012200

I try with a couple of picture first, mayby you can se what I meen.

Regards

René
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:49:04 pm by René Holm » Logged

1983 Matra murena 2,2
René Holm

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:38:10 pm »

Sorry for the big pictures  Wink

1983 Matra murena 2,2
René Holm

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:57:21 pm »

Here is a picture, with the new against the old one, m
Here's a picture of the new bearing versus the old, maybe it can give you an impression, of the problem.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:51:07 pm by René Holm » Logged

1983 Matra murena 2,2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 01:49:53 am »

Hello Roy.

My problem is, that the bearing in position 1, does not fit, in the place. The new one I bought, is 1,9 mm. in thickness, and they are all the same size. In the posisition 2, 3, 4 and 5, fits the new bearings very good.
The old bearing in position 1, massure 1,6 mm, so the new bearing, is to big, so it´s stick up over the edge.  .

I can't get the crankshaft back in place when the new bearing is inserted.
The number of the old bearings is :    

The first one has number:             16012200
                                  The second one has number:         53137480
                                  The third one has number:             53137380
                                  The fourth one has number:           53137480
                                  The fifth one has number:              16012200

I try with a couple of picture first, mayby you can se what I meen.

Regards

René

Those numbers for 1 & 5 are Talbot part numbers and 16012200 is the correct half shell for the bearing caps 1, 3 & 5 (without any oil hole) so they should not be fitted in the block.  The corresponding half shell with oil hole to fit in the block at 1, 3 & 5 should be 16012300.
The part numbers 531374800, and 531373800 I don't recognize.  There should be a manufacturers name or symbol which might help as these are possibly their own numbers.

You say these are the old bearing shell numbers but what are the numbers on the new bearing shells?  And what about the size markings?  It is the back of the bearing shells I originally wished to see, where the numbers and sizes are engraved, but now I have seen that cap with those cracks I would like to see the cap without a shell fitted so I can see the surface where the shell fits.

You are also saying that the new bearing shells are all the same but one does not fit cap No.1 and that the old shells have one odd shell that is thinner than the rest!  That means the No.1 main bearing cap is different to the No.3 and No.5 cap??  That is definitely not right.  Combined with the cracks I think someone has done something they should never have done, to that engine!

You have a more serious problem than the shell not fitting, which is that the No.1 bearing cap shows it has serious cracks across where the bolt holes are, and you should not be rebuilding an engine with that.  For the cap to have those sort of cracks something drastic has happened to that engine previously, which may have caused the cracks and the bearing cap may be distorted.  The block also may be damaged.

(I have downloaded copies of those photos, so can you please remove them as they are far too large for the forum. You should reduce their size to about 1000 width max. or 800 max. height, or similar, if you wish to replace them. Thanks)

Roy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:52:51 am by roy4matra » Logged

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 11:57:10 am »

Sorry for the big pictures  Wink

Thanks for removing the over large pictures René.  It makes viewing the forum postings much easier.  So that others can see the pictures you posted, I am uploading smaller versions here.

Roy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:03:19 pm by roy4matra » Logged

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:17:57 pm »

Hello Roy.

The old bearing in position 1, massure 1,6 mm, so the new bearing, is to big, so it´s stick up over the edge...

Regards

René

Hello René,

To clarify this for you and any others here that are interested:

I have consulted the manual and an engine, and ALL main bearing shells must be 1.901 to 1.910 mm thick.

There must be no bearing shell only 1.6mm thick!  This indicates that this main bearing cap with the cracks was not originally from one of these engines.  Do not attempt to rebuild this engine with incorrect and damaged parts.

Roy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:23:08 pm by roy4matra » Logged

René Holm

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 06:59:11 pm »

Hello Roy.

Thanks for arranging the pictures.

Now I think,  I´ve found out what´s wrong with the engine.

The engine has been running very hot, so the main bearing is brocken and the engine block is warpedd a little. So the new bearing could not
fit, in place.

Regards

René

1983 Matra murena 2,2
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 09:57:48 am »

Now I think,  I´ve found out what´s wrong with the engine.

The engine has been running very hot, so the main bearing is brocken and the engine block is warpedd a little. So the new bearing could not
fit, in place.

Ouch Sad

Fortunately a replacement engine block shouldn't be too hard to source...

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: