| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engine Swaps in the Year 2020 ( 1.6 OE)  (Read 4129 times)
Gib

« on: January 13, 2020, 09:10:28 am »

Nothing too dramatic, but I have a 1.6 and like tinkering i already have a rebuilt engine with twin DCNFs on the bench so I am not interested in that avenue. The idea was always going towards getting a more modern power plant unfortunately time has past by and Mi16 engines are now pretty sparse in the UK and not that common in mainland Europe.

Whilst keeping an eye out for engines ( For some reason they are all in Ireland??) I have noticed that you can get a 206GTi for about 30p or 45p if it has leather. A tiny bit of research shows the EW10J engine ( 2Ltr 206 GTI unit) was built to replace the TU series and  apparently shares a fair bit of architecture.

Could this now be the engine swap of choice or are there any other I4 alternatives that make even more sense ?

As a side note for another engine transfer, I bought half a shell ( Saab 99) many moons ago to do a lot of the donkey working involved with making brackets and siting parts before transferring them all to my actual car. Does any one have any ideas of getting hold of an engine bay for a Murena, crashed , rotted shell Huh
GP

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:32:35 am »

All prepped and ready for collection....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:51:46 pm by GP » Logged
GP

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:00 pm »

Cry
Gib

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:35:53 am »

Thanks again for the offer and if timing was better,  Its a pity but at least you got the most out of the shell.
Grapes

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 04:03:14 pm »

Mostly out of curiosity and partly because it seems as though there has never been a definitive answer on the original question. What are good engine options for the 1.6?

And something that one of the Dutch members may hopefully know. Which swaps are allowed without losing the "oldtimer" status of the car.

I'm currently well satisfied with the current drivetrain however I'd like to keep my options open. Especially since, IF the engine fails on me somewhere in the next 50 years (staying optimistic here Cheesy ), I'd like to have a spare one at hand.
TELBOY

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:49:07 pm »

One for you Gib!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forums/topic/135735-embrace-the-ew/&ved=2ahUKEwiijO-c_qfrAhUwTxUIHXfhCQoQFjANegQIEhAB&usg=AOvVaw1gLucTKG_85f0XyJwKe-pL&cshid=1597866408678
TELBOY

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:01:09 pm »

Wow Gib. This has really got me thinking. As I run an xu engine I too have been looking. The EW10J4 puts out a fIg of 133 bhp and the EW10J4S 175bhp. Peageot rounding the figs up. Both are the same overall size as my XU9 2C sharing many characteristics, same crankshaft length and drive shaft lengths. The major differences is the righthand engine mount is different and you also need. To use the newer BE gearbox. Fitting all the electrics for the various censors would be beyond my capabilities but you are so right, you an pick an engine up for peanuts as its common, citreon c4 c5 peageot 406 307 an d a few others. Indeed whilst I was looking I found a 307 cc for £60 in Hayes. May be the way to go in the future.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: