| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Simca Type 180 Engine  (Read 2841 times)
Mattias Henriksson

« on: February 17, 2020, 10:06:00 am »

Hello,

I bought an Simca Type 180 engine that I think are new or almost new. It was delivered in a wood box with simca marking and the seller said it come from a car mechanic school.
Is it possible from markings on the outside of the engine to say what size it is, 1,6, 1,8, 2,0 or 2,2 litre?

Best regards
Mattias
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »

Hello,

I bought an Simca Type 180 engine that I think are new or almost new. It was delivered in a wood box with simca marking and the seller said it come from a car mechanic school.
Is it possible from markings on the outside of the engine to say what size it is, 1,6, 1,8, 2,0 or 2,2 litre?

Best regards
Mattias

Hello Mattias,

There should be an engine number stamped on the block, usually near the oil filter housing on an angled rib.  Can you please give us the full number detail please.  There may also be a number cast in to the block at the top near where the clutch bell housing bolts to the block.  Let us have that too.  Thanks.

The 1639cc, 1812cc, and 1981cc engines all use the same 75mm stroke crank but have different bores.  The 2156cc engine has the same bore as the 2.0-litre engine but a longer 81.6mm stroke crank.

Strictly the engine type numbers are: 1639cc = 7R2, 1812cc = 7S2, & 1981cc = 7T2 whilst the 2156cc = 9N2.
However, a 2156cc engine can be in a 7T2 block with a longer stoke crank fitted so the block has 7T2 cast in to it, but the 9N2 is stamped on the block to show it is the larger capacity.  There is also some coding in the engine number that tells you what year the engine was built and maybe the capacity which is why I asked for the complete details.

When these engines are fitted in the Peugeot 505 Turbo, the type numbers change to N9T, N9TE and N9TEA depending on the specification. (the 'E' is for fuel injection and the 'A' is for most powerful with an air to air inter-cooler)  When the engine was fitted in the Murena the type number was either X5N2 or X5N4. (the latter was the uprated Prep142 and 'S')  The 'X5' denoted it was a mid-engined transverse installation.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:35:54 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Mattias Henriksson

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 05:21:57 pm »

Hello, thanks for Quick reply on this question!
The serial number on the block is 7_1103541 and then 7T2 so it seems to be a 2-litre engine !? Is there a differance on the valve size , camshaft etc between this engines?

The original 2,2 engine in my Murena has a broken cylinder head, damaged cam shaft and some small pores in one of the cylinders. So the plan now is to use this engine with the crank shaft, rods and pistons from the original engine. I will deassembly this engine to see if everything is ok.

What do you think, will it work with this combo?

Best regards
Mattias
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 11:27:17 am »

Hello, thanks for Quick reply on this question!
The serial number on the block is 7_1103541 and then 7T2 so it seems to be a 2-litre engine !? Is there a differance on the valve size , camshaft etc between this engines?

That is a 1977 2-litre engine Mattias.  The bore should be the same as the 2.2-litre but the stroke is shorter and the pistons will have domed heads.

The original 2,2 engine in my Murena has a broken cylinder head, damaged cam shaft and some small pores in one of the cylinders. So the plan now is to use this engine with the crank shaft, rods and pistons from the original engine. I will deassembly this engine to see if everything is ok.

What do you think, will it work with this combo?

Best regards
Mattias

You need to use the original 2.2 crankshaft and flywheel, con-rods, and flat topped pistons, providing they are really good, and that should give you a 2.2-litre engine.  However, even if they look good, you should really get everything checked thoroughly first including the 2-litre block which should be checked for condition of bores and crankshaft including alignment.  I suspect you will need to have the crank re-ground as it is being fitted in a different block, and the bores at least cleaned if not re-bored, and the original pistons will need to be replaced because if the bores and camshaft were damaged/broken it suggests the pistons hit the valves and the shock loading did the damage to the bores and camshaft.  You also need to check the crankshaft end float in the different block and those surfaces in case they need to be machined.  The 2-litre head will not have the mounting points for the engine steady bar, so you will have to have the head modified to take that.  Also the block will need some other modifications (like cutting off a casting lug and drilling out threads) otherwise you cannot fit it into the Murena, because it was designed for a longitudinal installation in the Chrysler 2-litre with a Talbot gearbox, and you will be fitting it to a Citroen CX transaxle and mounting it transversely in the Murena.

If the 2-litre bores are good but only very slightly worn, you might be able to take the bore to the repair size which is just 0.10mm oversize and use the repair size pistons, IF Simon Auto has any in stock, otherwise you will need to re-bore to the first oversize which is 0.40mm and use 0.40mm oversize pistons.

If you do modify it, please stamp it X5N2 near the engine number, so it can be seen to have been modified.

Roy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:36:41 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: