| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jacking the j63  (Read 4017 times)
pduke

« on: May 23, 2020, 07:25:05 pm »

Hello everybody!
it has been a while, i hope you all good in these strange times we live in.

So i dicided to take my little missy out for some maintenance jobs cause she started to rot in the garage for so many years  Sad
i will start one or two topics about that if anyone can spare some time Smiley
But before i even begin i got into problems like a noob... again...
I always had a screw type jack so i was using this one. Now i got myself a hydraulic michelin one and 2 michelin jack stands for more safety.
My problem is that i need 2 more jacking points except the side classic ones in order to lift and then use the stands.
So i got my jack under number 1 (any side). Are 2 or 3 safe points to fit the stands? if not, which would be the correct ones for this matter?

thank you in advance !
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:43:31 pm »

Hello everybody!
it has been a while, i hope you all good in these strange times we live in.

So i dicided to take my little missy out for some maintenance jobs cause she started to rot in the garage for so many years  Sad
i will start one or two topics about that if anyone can spare some time Smiley
But before i even begin i got into problems like a noob... again...
I always had a screw type jack so i was using this one. Now i got myself a hydraulic michelin one and 2 michelin jack stands for more safety.
My problem is that i need 2 more jacking points except the side classic ones in order to lift and then use the stands.
So i got my jack under number 1 (any side). Are 2 or 3 safe points to fit the stands? if not, which would be the correct ones for this matter?

thank you in advance !

As long as your jack is under a level, firm box section part of the chassis, then it should be fine for jacking up.  Similarly, you place the stands under a flat firm part of the chassis rails to keep it up safely.  These should be quite obvious and if they are not, then I suggest it is unwise for you to be doing this without supervision from someone who does understand.  Safety first if you are going to be under a vehicle.

Roy

mhi

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:11:03 pm »

If it is a job which needs the vehicle jacking for access underneath, I pay the professionals with a proper garage lift to do it. I'll jack for access into a wheel arch. There is enough ground clearance for me to wriggle under the vehicle without lifting it, good enough for "small" tasks such as feeding the exhaust system's permanent hunger for new rubber supports, for replacing the speedometer cable, cursing the alternator brushes or changing the engine oil and filter.

There are plenty of things to go wrong and then work on in a 26-year-old French car without looking underneath. I have too much practice on central locking troubleshooting and on windscreen washer pumps!

- Mark

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 07:17:42 am »

Jacking my J11 was never a problem. I did lots of small and big jobs down there, exhaust, clutch etc. There are several strong beams underneath which are directly visible. I beleive the J63 is not that much different. It's a bit front-heavy, so don't jack it too far back. If still in doubt, seek help Smiley

As Roys says, safety first!

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
pduke

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 10:06:17 am »

Late last night i dived deep into the basement and finally found my old Hynes service and repair manual.
So it turns out i found the spots quite right

Now in Haynes they suggest using a beam in order to lift equally in both siddes and then place the stands together.
Now that i know the spots, i ll find my way .. underneath.
I usually am very carefull and i fit two stands and 1 or two jacks before i dive under any car. In my lowered peugeot things are more stressy ... but this one is already too high that in many cases you do need to jack it at all to fit underneath. Especially when working at the back.
Nevertheless, safety first and nothing else. Smiley
i ll be reporting back.
cheers all!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:09:10 am by pduke » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: