| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engine tuning  (Read 4119 times)
Ken

« on: July 13, 2020, 11:06:07 pm »

Hello! I have a 1974 Bagheera and I would like  to have just a little more oumph in the engine. Does anyone has some nice links or other tips for me?

Kind regards Ken Håkansson, Malmö, Sweden
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 11:49:09 am »

Hello! I have a 1974 Bagheera and I would like  to have just a little more oumph in the engine. Does anyone has some nice links or other tips for me?

Kind regards Ken Håkansson, Malmö, Sweden

It all depends on what you have now and if that is already performing at its best.  It is after all well over 40 years old!

Assuming it is a standard 1300cc with twin 36 DCNF Weber carburettors, then that is quite highly tuned already as they were rated at 84 DIN horsepower, which was pretty good in its day for a 1300.  Many 1600cc in the seventies only had around 65-70 PS.

You could replace the 1300 with a 1442 and in good condition that would bring the horsepower up to 90 PS, or even replace it with a 1600 as these are all based on the same engine but even the 1600 only gains another few horsepower, but it does give more torque so it will feel better.

To get a lot more power you are going to need a better camshaft such as the Simca Rallye 3 cam.  All engine tuning starts with the camshaft so that the engine can breathe better.  More oxygen in will give more power out, if everything else is correct.  Do not think or make the classic mistake that putting on bigger carburettors will improve things.  That will not work.  Camshaft first, then other items to match, such as gas flowed exhaust manifold, and maybe re-jetting the existing carburettors.  If you only have the one carburettor, then consider the twin carburettor set up used on the Bagheera S.

Roy

Ken

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:12:20 pm »

Thank you Roy!  Smiley

Actually I was thinking about getting towards 120 hp so gasflowing the head and a camshaft is in the calculations but it would be nice if someone have some more precise info.  Smiley
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 11:57:52 am »

Thank you Roy!  Smiley

Actually I was thinking about getting towards 120 hp so gasflowing the head and a camshaft is in the calculations but it would be nice if someone have some more precise info.  Smiley

Getting 120 hp out of an old pushrod 8-valve 1442cc (if that is what you have?) will be difficult as you are into racing engine power outputs for that size of engine.  I have a modern fuel injected 16-valve 1.4 litre engine and that only delivers 98 hp.

You will definitely need the Simca Rallye 3 cam or something similar, plus gas flowed inlet and exhaust, and better carburation.

Roy

Ken

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 04:16:55 pm »

Thank you Roy!  Smiley

Actually I was thinking about getting towards 120 hp so gasflowing the head and a camshaft is in the calculations but it would be nice if someone have some more precise info.  Smiley

Getting 120 hp out of an old pushrod 8-valve 1442cc (if that is what you have?) will be difficult as you are into racing engine power outputs for that size of engine.  I have a modern fuel injected 16-valve 1.4 litre engine and that only delivers 98 hp.

You will definitely need the Simca Rallye 3 cam or something similar, plus gas flowed inlet and exhaust, and better carburation.

Roy

But offcourse. It will require some serious work. Fully balanced etc. I don´t want to go modern by using an injection. Carbs is good enough. As the time has gone by I have found some good links and people that can help me.

Thanks anyway. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: