| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Brake pad sensor on 1.6  (Read 1665 times)
Morne

« on: October 04, 2020, 06:39:12 pm »

Yesterday when I was removing the calipers, I found two lose wires in the left front wheel well. They were just cable-tied to the flexible brake hose, but not connected to anything.

Are these the for the brake pad monitor?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »

Yesterday when I was removing the calipers, I found two lose wires in the left front wheel well. They were just cable-tied to the flexible brake hose, but not connected to anything.

Are these the for the brake pad monitor?

Yes but forget them.  One wire connects to the inner pad and the other is the earth for which you will find there should be a terminal on the back of the mounting plate.  But this will only monitor the inner pad on that left front, provided a wire doesn't break or come adrift first.  You can almost guarantee one of the other pads would wear down first and if you relied on this, you could have a metal to metal situation with a worn out pad and damage a brake disc.

These days all good Murena pads should have an aural wear button fitted on them, so that gives you a warning on each and every pad, and whichever one wears down the most first, you will get the noise and be alerted to the fact that the pads are nearly worn out.  Not only is is better as you are monitoring every pad, but there is nothing to break so it is much more reliable.

You have to be aware these aural wear buttons are sometimes fitted incorrectly on the wrong side as the manufacturers fitting them don't understand what they are for, or how they work!  I know as I contacted some and questioned them and they were just copying other incorrectly fitted ones!  So if they are on the wrong side, you just have to change them over before you fit the pads.  It's all in my brake booklet which you obviously haven't downloaded or read fully.  Do it now and understand the Murena brakes better including their problems.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:16:55 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: