| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Leaking petrol... New gasket? Gasket paper?  (Read 3772 times)
Grapes

« on: October 22, 2020, 08:56:07 pm »

Went to have a look and noticed that there's petrol leaking. Looks like the gasket needs replacing?
https://youtu.be/zg2GzdoOjTM

Someone told me to just check the local parts supplier and get a sheet of gasket paper and just take whatever they recommend. Any more advice here? The pump looks rather new and shiny compared to the rest of the engine...
GP

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 10:13:32 pm »

Went to have a look and noticed that there's petrol leaking. Looks like the gasket needs replacing?
https://youtu.be/zg2GzdoOjTM

Someone told me to just check the local parts supplier and get a sheet of gasket paper and just take whatever they recommend. Any more advice here? The pump looks rather new and shiny compared to the rest of the engine...

Err it actually looks like there is no gasket there at all to me?
Clean all that dirty plop off and check!
Yes you can make your own gasket from a sheet of gasket paper. It is nothing special in that position. Although I do remember from years ago that there was a "Bakelite" type spacer used with 2 x gaskets either side?
I expect someone on this forum will confirm this for you?

Attached is a picture of a Talbot Tagora Engine with the spacer in question.....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:27:54 pm by GP » Logged
Grapes

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 12:36:40 pm »

Oh that picture looks nice and tidy!
Looks like the spacer is there in the vid though I can't tell by the naked eye since it's all the way behind the engine behind all the wires and tubing. I also can't see much in terms of gasket like you said but I assumed that would be so compressed that it wouldn't be visible so I didn't notice that before Cheesy
Definitely will see if I can make it look tidier. I checked the replacement part listed at Roy's site and they are indeed sold with two gaskets so that spacer should be there indeed.
Can I just buy the paper, unbolt the thing, cut it to size and put it back? My manual doesn't really specify it. I would have expected an instruction to somehow empty the pump first?
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 01:55:31 pm »

The spacer determines the pump stroke and therefore the pressure.  If there was a spacer there originally it should be fitted.
GP

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 01:57:45 pm »

Oh that picture looks nice and tidy!
Looks like the spacer is there in the vid though I can't tell by the naked eye since it's all the way behind the engine behind all the wires and tubing. I also can't see much in terms of gasket like you said but I assumed that would be so compressed that it wouldn't be visible so I didn't notice that before Cheesy
Definitely will see if I can make it look tidier. I checked the replacement part listed at Roy's site and they are indeed sold with two gaskets so that spacer should be there indeed.
Can I just buy the paper, unbolt the thing, cut it to size and put it back? My manual doesn't really specify it. I would have expected an instruction to somehow empty the pump first?
Yes just take everything off. Nothing to drain as it is a mechanical pump. Will get a few dribbles from the pipes and pump but not a problem.
Clean all the surfaces up nicely, check carefully and make sure no one has scraped any scores in the surfaces previously?
You can use the spacer then as a template by drawing around it onto your new sheet of gasket paper and make some/plus spares even!
Probably need a hole punch, but always good to have a set off these in your toolbox if you want to own a Matra. Hah!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 06:54:31 pm »

Err it actually looks like there is no gasket there at all to me?
Clean all that dirty plop off and check!
Yes you can make your own gasket from a sheet of gasket paper. It is nothing special in that position. Although I do remember from years ago that there was a "Bakelite" type spacer used with 2 x gaskets either side?
I expect someone on this forum will confirm this for you?

Attached is a picture of a Talbot Tagora Engine with the spacer in question.....

Please note this is NOT a spacer.

It is a heat insulator to restrict the amount of heat transferred from the engine to the fuel pump and thereby to the fuel, to help prevent the fuel getting too hot and vaporising at that point.  It also sets the pump at the correct spacing from the block (1.6 model) or height from the timing case (2.2 model) for the arm or plunger, and if there was no insulator fitted then you would not get the pump to fit and work!  The arm or plunger would foul the cam too early and the pump body would not even reach the flange to be able to fasten it.

And yes, the insulator should have a gasket either side.

The down-draught carburettor has a similar heat insulator under it to separate it from the inlet manifold for the same reason.

Grapes car is a 1.6 but the photo that Graham has added is a 2.2, with the fuel pump right at the top.

One word of caution Grapes, if you really have fuel leaking from your pump I doubt it is a fault of the insulator or gaskets.  Failure of those gaskets would cause an oil leak from the engine.  Any fuel leak will come from somewhere else on the pump such as the inlet or outlet connections or the filter cap at the top on your 1.6 fuel pump.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:05:03 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Grapes

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 01:31:34 am »

Thanks again guys. I'll get a gasket sheet (probably will be useful in the future anyway), examine the pump and the connections to see if I indeed can find that leak in a different location and move further from there.
Grapes

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 04:03:12 pm »

New pump arrived from PTZ since it wasn't the gasket that was leaking but probably some internal seals. Hope to be replacing it this week.
Also had a proper look at the oil leak and that really looks like a failing oil pan gasket. Anyway, pump first and I'll get a video for the oil problems into the other thread in due time.
Grapes

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 12:19:55 am »

Petrol pump is successfully replaced a while ago and I don't seem to have any leaking petrol now so that's at least a step forward.

I did however notice that there seems to be oil leaking up in the spark plug wells (or at least one of the wells). Weather has been dreadful though and I can't find the motivation or time to go back to the car to finally do that compression test. I wonder how much damage there is to my engine and what to replace. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: