| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace III  (Read 277 times)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« on: November 23, 2020, 01:52:16 pm »

In case you have not visited my website and FAQ pages for some time, I have now added another couple of pages regarding the Espace III, mainly to warn prospective owners of the fact that some necessary items are no longer available anywhere, and if one of these fails you could have a vehicle you can't repair.  Well you might be able to repair it if you design and make something yourself, but you won't be able to simply buy a manufacturer spare!

Roy

pduke

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 02:07:58 pm »

This seems like an end to an era. And it is very sad. I already have a JE under my scope... It is for sale near me and nobody wants it. Stationary for since 2015 (imagine the plastic parts sitting there, getting worse every day.... Sad )
Now with such news, on one hand you want to avoid any Matra Espace ΙII for the obvious reasons, but on the other hand if you don't get one now... you will never get one!! Sad

Since we talked about this and you highly recomended that i should drop such plans, this master clutch cylinder has become a nightmare to me.

quoting from your site:

[quote  link=http://www.matraclub.org.uk/faqh.htm]
.....Finally, you should know that certain essential parts are now unavailable anywhere and a failure in any of those will render the vehicle unusable unless you design and make your own alternative. One good example here is the clutch master cylinder on many of the manual models. These master cylinders are plastic, both body and piston, and the clutch fluid system was a sealed system, so when it failed you had to replace the complete system which came pre-bled in a complete kit. They have not been available for a long time, so you cannot fix the clutch unless you design and make your own system. There are other plastic parts that will have become hard and brittle with age and heat, and if you break one and cannot get a replacement, again you would have to devise and make your own alternative. They have quick release coolant hose couplings that are part plastic and will often break when trying to get them apart. Electronic parts, plus software and computers that are twenty years old are a problem in any sphere - you only have to think about your home computer or phones from 20 years ago to understand how this could be a problem, so when we are talking about a dedicated item for a little made car subjected to heat, cold, wet, or damp, as well as dirt and vibration over all those years, you should see there are likely to be major problems......

[/quote]

Where is this thing? why i can't find it in any car parts online shop? Off course this is the whole point of this post you might say but ...... WHY can't i find it even in the manuals!! (eg https://bit.ly/EspaceJE_Clutch)

a parts number anywhere?

also...
3D printers .. could this be a solution for such plastic parts? is there a material as durable available for 3D printing parts?

cheers,
Pan

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:15:26 pm by pduke » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 06:08:19 pm »

This seems like an end to an era. And it is very sad. I already have a JE under my scope... It is for sale near me and nobody wants it. Stationary for since 2015 (imagine the plastic parts sitting there, getting worse every day.... Sad )
Now with such news, on one hand you want to avoid any Matra Espace ΙII for the obvious reasons, but on the other hand if you don't get one now... you will never get one!! Sad

Since we talked about this and you highly recomended that i should drop such plans, this master clutch cylinder has become a nightmare to me.

[snipped long quote]

Where is this thing? why i can't find it in any car parts online shop?

No one wants it, because you can't get parts for them and they are a liability!

The part is listed in the old Dialogys parts system and I can look them up on my copy, (but they are not in the section on the clutch but in the pedal controls section) and since they have not been available for a long time, you won't find them listed on-line as there is absolutely no point!

WHY can't i find it even in the manuals!! (eg https://bit.ly/EspaceJE_Clutch) a parts number anywhere?

First that drawing relates to a different version of the Espace III (and clutch) anyway as it shows an internal annular slave cylinder. (dotted outline)  The version no longer available, has an externally mounted slave cylinder and one version has a short link cable, which breaks too and is not available.

However, as I have just stated, they are not where you think they might be.  You would normally expect to see a clutch master cylinder listed in the clutch section (section 20) but since these are a completely sealed clutch hydraulic system not just a master cylinder, they are not in section 20.

also...
3D printers .. could this be a solution for such plastic parts? is there a material as durable available for 3D printing parts?

Again as I have pointed out it is a sealed system that includes a clutch master cylinder, a long pre-shaped plastic and metal pipe, a snap coupling, a further pre-shaped pipe, and a slave cylinder, and it covers a large area.  You could never 3D print it!  (And if it was possible, certainly not for the small numbers required and at an affordable price)

Roy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:44:44 am by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: