| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wanted 1.6 gearbox UK Based  (Read 2556 times)
Gib

« on: December 15, 2021, 08:45:54 pm »

Sorry  for the cross posting but  not sure on the traffic on here these days.  As per my other no reverse post. I need a new gearbox as time is not no my side to do a rebuild at the moment.  So does any one have one for sale ?
GP

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 10:05:28 pm »

Sorry  for the cross posting but  not sure on the traffic on here these days.  As per my other no reverse post. I need a new gearbox as time is not no my side to do a rebuild at the moment.  So does any one have one for sale ?

Carjoy in Holland do an exchange one :-

http://carjoy.nl/matra-shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=416
Gib

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 08:43:05 am »

Thanks but at the moment i don't want to drop around a grand ( Huh) for a box.

Its just bad timing as i dont have time to pull then strip the box i can just about do a swap
GP

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 08:54:40 am »

Thanks but at the moment i don't want to drop around a grand ( Huh) for a box.

Its just bad timing as i dont have time to pull then strip the box i can just about do a swap

Could try the Simca Talbot Owners Club in the U.K?

https://www.simcatalbotclub.org/about-the-club

I have also attached the spare part page from an old M.E.C.U.K. Magazine. Ring these numbers........

Good luck, hope you find one.......
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:27:42 am by GP » Logged
Gib

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 02:56:28 pm »

Thanks for the info Graham

From some research ( all comments relative to the 1.6):
Bell housing custom to this application
Gearbox housing custom to this application
Gear set 1-4 from a Citroen CX (Type TBC)
Other parts ?

As chance would have it my brother has a selection of CX's and a spare gearbox, anyone any idea if the parts relative to reverse and its selection are from the CX box?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 08:15:42 pm »

Thanks for the info Graham

From some research ( all comments relative to the 1.6):
Bell housing custom to this application
Gearbox housing custom to this application
Gear set 1-4 from a Citroen CX (Type TBC)
Other parts ?

As chance would have it my brother has a selection of CX's and a spare gearbox, anyone any idea if the parts relative to reverse and its selection are from the CX box?

There are a possible seven gearboxes for the Murena, 4 for the 1.6 (506, 511, 2GE14 & 2GE16) and 3 for the 2.2 model (510, 2GE15 & 2GE 17).  These will have differences which is why they have different version numbers, and without doubt various part differences.  Some of this will be down to the different engine torques.   Larger torque usually requires larger bearings, so one likely difference will be smaller bearings on the Lancia/Murena gearbox whilst the Citroen CX/Murena 2.2 would have larger ones.  Others will be differences in gear sets and differential ratios.  The upshot is that without knowing exactly what you have, with two outwardly similar boxes, you cannot say whether parts will be interchangeable.

As for fitting a complete other gearbox, providing it is from another Murena 1.6 it should fit, but unless you know how it drove before there could be problems as 1.6 gearboxes were especially known to have synchronising issues owing to them having been built with mismatched parts.

You definitely cannot fit a box from a 2.2 Murena as the casings are different.

I do have a 1.6 Murena transaxle but I'm afraid it needs overhauling and I haven't done that yet so it would be sometime in January before I could tackle it, sorry.  And it was removed for that exact problem with a lack of synchronising so I know it will need new synchros minimum.  Now owing the scarcity and cost of new synchro rings they would be around £250 for a set anyway and then there are all the other things and labour so no box is ever going to be inexpensive.

As to whether a part from one of those other boxes will fit, it will depend on exactly what has gone wrong and broken, assuming something has broken.  But to find out what has gone wrong means at least removing the casing to see the internals, and if it is that part that was broken in my photo I showed in the other posting, that involves a major strip to get at it and replace it, but at least that part only has one number in the Murena parts fiche (for all boxes) so at least the part from another box should be the same.

Roy
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 08:41:17 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Gib

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 06:11:48 pm »

Box is out and has this number on 5461442
Gib

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 09:55:44 am »

All done and dusted, after searching all of Europe and finding a few options in Italy ( ££££££)  i managed to randomly find a guy in the UK who sent it out next day for £18 all in.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: