| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Removal of lock barrel from ignition?  (Read 2921 times)
Matraman

« on: January 20, 2021, 04:46:14 pm »

I have a similar problem to other people in that the ignition key will only turn after several attempts of jiggling it about. I removed the whole lock early in the restoration and replaced it with a generic lock fitted into a hole which a previous owner had cut next to the radio. This generic one works well but it obviously doesn't lock the steering, so now that I'm using the car on the road more regularly I would like to fit the proper ignition lock back into the car and get rid of my combination of non-standard lock and StopLock.

In the past, with other worn sticking locks, I have been able to remove the lock barrel and grind the tips of any protruding tumblers down flush while the key is in, so that the lock can then turn again. In fact I did that with a door lock on the Murena which wasn't turning properly with the key and it now works well.

Has anyone ever managed to remove the lock barrel? I mean the rotating part within the whole steering lock / ignition component which the key goes into. Usually with locks you put the key in, maybe turn it and press a spring loaded catch somewhere and the lock barrel comes out, but I can't find anything like that.

Andrew
MatraIan

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:29:10 pm »

Have look at this page, not sure if it will help, Ian
(about one third down page)

http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,1488.75.html

Murena 2.2 S Red 1984, Rover 600 ti, BMW 1 coupe M sport. Mercedes C class CGI sport
Matraman

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 11:16:43 am »

Thanks, it was that thread which set me thinking about a cheaper alternative to the £100 + ones which are specific to the Murena.

I found a Vauxhall Vivaro one which was similar, for £13, but when I got it there were too many differences to make it work, especially the cross shaped drive for the electrical connections, which is Y shaped in the Vauxhall one, but crucially at a different angle. I'm trying to source from the UK at the moment because EU suppliers seem very reluctant to risk all the extra documentation and customs charges. If I can't get the key barrel out I'll have a look for a Renault Trafic one in the UK and have another go with the help of maxderoswell's photos.

Andrew
Murenanimal

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 07:57:13 pm »

I bought 8 august 2016 a barrel offered on eBay from an Italian supplier “fabrizio Durando” e-mail at that time speedmarco@libero.it . Once in a while there are more to be found even full sets (=including the door locks with the one and only same key).
Mine was an Original NEIMAN and it was in a brand Valeo (greenish) box Ref.: Valeo 252046 BA056 “Blocchetto Antifurto Peugeot Talbot/Murena/Rancho originale”. PRICE €49,90 plus €20 shipping and hAndling, so totalling €69,90  I just took out the old lock with the old key in it - I believe only half turned - so not fully in starting position because only then you were able to push the retaining spring within the steeringcolumn in to liberate the ignition key barrel. So I bought only the ignition barrel.
In othe languages:
Franch : Antivol   UK : Column lock German: Lenkradschloss Spanish: Anti-robo Dutch: Stuurslot
Maybe an BA058 could be fitted as well, but that I cannot confirm.
Wish you luck.
Kind regards from Belgium
Guido

Murenanimal

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:40:09 pm »

Found the following possibilities upon eBay.fr (france) just a couple of minutes ago

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/VALEO-252046-BLOCCASTERZO-PEUGEOT-TALBOT-MURENA-RANCHO-COLUMN-LOCK/153885143584?hash=item23d444f220:g:fdIAAOSwbq5ehay6

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/CLAUSOR-ARRANQUE-ANTIRROBO-PEUGEOT-SIMCA-1200-TALBOT-180-VALEO-252046-NUEVO/223552411086?hash=item340cc315ce:g:uRYAAOSwnIVdBI4Y

So one more expensive out of Italy and a cheaper out of Spain.
Hope you get hold of your wish.
Kind regards
Guido
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 02:08:51 pm »

Thanks for the information Guido.  I have the Valeo 252046 number for the Ign/Strg lock, but I don't have a Valeo number for the complete set with door locks.  Do you have that maybe?

I would like to point out to those in the U.K. that I have tried to buy these and other things from Spain in the past and found that they simply won't deal with anyone in the U.K!  Not sure why, and this was also before Brexit finally happened, but fortunately I had a friend living in Spain who bought one item for me, and then sent it on to me.  Bit of a hassle but got it in the end.

So don't be surprised if you are rejected from buying from Spain.

Roy
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:11:41 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Murenanimal

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 11:18:36 pm »

Roy,
Sorry, did not take a copy of the numbercode of Valeo for the full door locks and ign.Str. lock details at that time as I only was interested in buying the ignition/steering lock.
Maybe when I see one somewhere in the future I’ll inform accordingly.
Have a nice day,
Greetings from the continent ;-)
Guido
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: