| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UK car tax  (Read 1830 times)
Rayburn

« on: June 20, 2021, 12:36:07 pm »

Hi all
I have a couple of questions about car tax in the UK. Apologies if this has already been covered.

My Murena has a X5 551 BX 60 0000 chassis number which I think means it was made in 1981 and 40 years old this year. This should mean that in the UK it can be reregistered as an historic car and I won't have to pay £280 road tax to drive it. However my registration document says that it was 'declared manufactured in 1982'. Have any UK owners managed to get their early Murenas reregistered yet? Does anyone know a way to get 'official' confirmation of build date?

Thanks Tom
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:12:44 pm »

Hi all
I have a couple of questions about car tax in the UK. Apologies if this has already been covered.

My Murena has a X5 551 BX 60 0000 chassis number which I think means it was made in 1981 and 40 years old this year. This should mean that in the UK it can be reregistered as an historic car and I won't have to pay £280 road tax to drive it. However my registration document says that it was 'declared manufactured in 1982'. Have any UK owners managed to get their early Murenas reregistered yet? Does anyone know a way to get 'official' confirmation of build date?

Thanks Tom

Hello Tom,

If you read my web page on all this about the 40 year rolling exemption, listed on the Technical Articles page, you will better understand the stipulations and procedure.  Yes, yours appears to be an early Murena 1.6 but as it was probably imported in 1982, and didn't have the correct paperwork to prove when it was built or first registered, they've declared it incorrectly.  We are currently trying to find if there are any of the official documents remaining in France showing build date that DVLA will accept.

However, I can tell you now that since your car is BX 611575 it was probably first registered after 1st April 1981 so you'll have to wait until January 1st 2022 to get it re-classified, and since it also has to be done before 1st April, it is too late this year anyway.

Roy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 10:20:50 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Rayburn

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 01:27:05 pm »

Hi Roy
Thanks for the information - I should have looked more carefully at your website before I asked the question! I guess we will have to wait to see whether the museum can help.

In the meantime I have paid the tax and I am enjoying my car being back on the road for the first time in a year. I had forgotten how well they go round corners!

Regards

Tom
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: