| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena 1.6 front shock absorber rubber bush replacement  (Read 2434 times)
AlanMurena1.6UK

« on: August 09, 2021, 07:11:10 pm »

I need to replace the front shock absorber rubber bushes on my Murena 1.6 and I have a question on how to keep the torsion bar compressed while this is happening. I’ve seen Roy’s warning on the subject but can’t find anything on how to actually do this.

After a bit of research I’ve assumed I’ll need a torsion bar compression tool, either original Talbot, or a generic one of some sort (I don’t have the expertise or equipment to make one up). The Haynes manual for the Solara does mention Chrysler tool 20916Q but I suspect this is long gone.

Before I spend many painful hours trying to translate the whole of the suspension section in my Dutch workshop manual, possibly in vain, does anyone have experience of what to do, and what tools are needed?
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 08:44:19 pm »

Just leave your car on its wheels. Don't lift it. Or lift it slightly, within the range of the shock absorbers. 
Then you can take it of.

AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 09:28:01 pm »

Thanks for the fast reply! I didn’t think it would be that easy. But what does Roy mean?

‘Note torsion bar springs must be safely released or secured before most front suspension repairs. Don't attempt without a manual!’

See here:

http://www.matraclub.org.uk/Murena.html

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 10:20:09 pm »

He means that the torsion bars are potentially dangerous when you start undoing nuts on the front suspension components. In this case you're safe if you don't dismantle anything but the shocks. With the shock absorber removed and the suspension unloaded, the upper control arm will touch the chassis on the underside preventing the torsion bar from releasing completely.

Lift the front, put it on axle stands, remove the front wheels, lift the lower control arm slightly with a jack under the lower ball joint (be careful not to damage anything) so the shock absorber is not fully extended and can be removed, undo the top nuts and bottom bolt on the shock absorber, and remove it. Do whatever you need to do. Refitting is the reverse, of course Smiley

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 12:14:24 am »

Thanks for the fast reply! I didn’t think it would be that easy. But what does Roy mean?

‘Note torsion bar springs must be safely released or secured before most front suspension repairs. Don't attempt without a manual!’

See here:
http://www.matraclub.org.uk/Murena.html

Hello Alan,

The warning is there to make you aware (if you don't already realise it) of the compressed energy in a spring, whether leaf, torsion or coil, which would be dangerous if not released under control.  But this is meant primarily for when changing springs.

However, if all you are doing is replacing the shock absorbers, that is quite easy and you don't need any spring clamp or tool, but you must realise that the shock absorber is limiting the maximum travel of the suspension when the car is lifted and the wheels or suspension is hanging down free; and most owners would raise the car and remove a wheel to give themselves better access to the shock absorbers, but you could do it as Bart says with the car still on its wheels but that limits your access unless you have a pit or the car up on 4-poster ramps.  Therefore before you undo the shock absorber you should raise the car and put it on axle stands, then put a jack, preferably a trolley jack, under the lower wishbone, or lower ball joint, and lift the arm slightly.  Not enough to start lifting the car off the axle stand but to stop the arm going down further once the shock absorber is released.  And if you did release the shock absorber without supporting the lower arm, the suspension would slam down until the top wishbone hit the chassis as pointed out by Anders.

Once the lower wishbone is supported from dropping and lifted slightly so the shock absorber is not tight against its maximum travel, then you can safely remove and replace the shock absorber or bushes.

Once the new parts are fitted and the shock absorber secured once again, then the suspension cannot extend beyond the shock absorber limit.  Now you can refit the wheel, remove the axle stand and lower the car back to the ground.

Roy
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:25:48 am by roy4matra » Logged

AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 01:36:57 pm »

Thanks Anders/Roy, that’s really helpful. It’s a relief that no special tools are required. I’ll get on and order the rubber bushes today.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 09:14:22 am by AlanMurena1.6UK » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 05:52:59 am »

Good luck, Alan!  Cheesy

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2